PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 Trophy Hunter Magazine vs. Axis Magazine

huesmann
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Hi all, I have an 11 Trophy Hunter in .308. Looking around for magazines, I noticed that the pictures online of magazines for the Axis .308 look identical to the magazine that came with my rifle. Is anyone able to confirm that the Axis mags fit the 11?

The mag that came with the rifle is marked "STD SHORT CAUTION USE ONLY CAL STAMPED ON BBL" (that's the only markings on it).

Of course, it seems to be moot for now, since both the 11 mags and Axis mags I can find in .308 online are all out of stock!

TIA.

Bossman
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Go to the Savage web site and then to "parts finder" link. Type in your serial # and click on the magazine in the schematic. When that page comes up, look at the description for the mag- I think it will describe it for both models. I have an 11 Trophy also and as I remember, that was the case.

bossman

huesmann
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
"Our apologies...
A schematic is not available for the serial number entered. Please contact customer service.

Savage Arms Contact Information"

:(

I entered the number on the left of the receiver, opposite the bolt, just under the rear scope mount. I assumed that was the serial.

Bossman
01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
I can't explain that-
Here's what it reads on the heading for my Mod 11 savage:

Magazine Box - Savage Axis/Edge - Blued-22-250 REM - P/N: 55231 $40.00
This component is currently out of stock.

Anyway, my Mod. 11 has the plastic bottom metal and the mag looks just like the Axis mag.

Hope this helps

bossman

huesmann
01-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Well, as long as I can be fairly confident that the Axis mag will fit. Assuming they're ever in stock!

Thanks, man.

sharpshooter
01-31-2013, 11:00 PM
The Axis magazines are the same for the Trophy hunter models. Since the introduction of the "poly" magazines on the Axis, the same magazines has been used on some of the lower end models, such as the Trophy Hunter to reduce costs. The metal stamped part of the box is the same as any other magazine found on all the models, the difference is the bottom cap. Those with a metal cap use the metal magazine frame with the magazine latch in the frame. Those with a poly cap has the mag latch on the cap.

Bossman
01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Thank you for clarifying that!!!

bossman

huesmann
01-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info, sharpshooter. I'm thinking about picking up an extra mag to experiment with fabbing up a large(r) cap mag (don't want to mess around with my stock mag). Anyway, sounds like the Axis is an acceptable alternate. My 11 mag does have the plastic bottom with the plastic latch.

rmdailey
02-02-2013, 12:50 PM
They are the same. A friend has a .223 axis, I've got an '06 111 I compared the magazines and they are the same. Obviously his was smaller being he has a pea-shooter.