PDA

View Full Version : which seater die do you use?

Stockrex
01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
I need to get seater dies for
6.5x55
6mm br

which seaters dies do you recommend pls?

Predator1
01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Forster Ultra! And if you can afford to buy the Micrometer seater.

LSOSGT1109
01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
+1 for the foster micrometer seater. I love the one I use for .308!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Luckus
01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
I have various makes, but prefer the Forster mic seating die. That's is all I will buy in the future. Luckus

missed
01-31-2013, 11:06 PM
I want one of the Forester Mic seater dies. I am using the Lee seater and while it works and is very consistent once you have it set it does not have the micrometer adjustment that is very very nice.

Nor Cal Mikie
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
RCBS Compitition Seater Die. Pick up a used one (if you can find them), swap the internal parts and set it up for the caliber you want. I've got them for every caliber I shoot. Wouldn't use anything else. Side window keep you from smashing you fingers on the up stroke.

seanhagerty
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
RCBS Compitition Seater Die. Pick up a used one (if you can find them), swap the internal parts and set it up for the caliber you want. I've got them for every caliber I shoot. Wouldn't use anything else. Side window keep you from smashing you fingers on the up stroke.

I use this one as well for my 223. I love it.

I did not know about swapping the internals for different calibers. This is something I must explore.

Sean

Stockrex
02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
I use this one as well for my 223. I love it.

I did not know about swapping the internals for different calibers. This is something I must explore.

Sean

where to buy the internal parts, I have read it is much cheaper than buying a 2nd seater.

I was looking for the slide and seating punch for a forster's ultra seater, but could not locate one.

davemuzz
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM

I agree with this as I have one for my 6.5 Swede. OTOH, in order to "get" consistent concentricity from my loads, I had to buy the RCBS Competition bushing neck sizing die. Prior to buying the RCBS Comp. bushing die, I was only getting about 50% of my reloads within one-thous of concentricity. Now, with using both the bushing die and the seater die, I'm getting 98% concentricity within +- one-thousand.

For my .223, the lee dies work just fine. But, IMHO, the .223 bullet is smaller and even when I loaded the 45gr. for my 1-12 twist T\C Contender, I honestly believed I could seat 'em with a brass hammer and still get one-hole groups. The .223 bullets\cartridge is a more "forgiving" or "easy" cartridge to load than the bigger thumpers.

MHO

Dave

Nor Cal Mikie
02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
As far as the extra "internal parts", talk to RCBS. They'll send you whatever you need.
They ask me if I'am switching calibers? and the parts are "on the way". Good people to deal with. And they've got this "Warranty" thing that makes it real hard to pay for what I want. One of the best outfits out there.

Apache
02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Wilson or Wilson style seating dies. All of them I have used have produced excellent results as far as case run out goes.

JCalhoun
02-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I also use the RCBS micrometer seater die with the window in the side. I love being able to simply drop the bullet in the window and seat it. Works especially well on flat base bullets and .224 cal bullets.

Stockrex
02-07-2013, 07:44 AM
I also use the RCBS micrometer seater die with the window in the side. I love being able to simply drop the bullet in the window and seat it. Works especially well on flat base bullets and .224 cal bullets.

I like the window on the side,
can we get internal parts to switch calibers for RCBS micrometer seater die?

Nor Cal Mikie
02-07-2013, 08:26 AM
For sure! That's how I switch calibers in my Comp seaters. Bullet slide and seater stem to match the caliber and bullet style you're working with. I've gone as far as drilling the seater stem hole deeper to work with the VLD Bergers. Works as desired.
Buy new or find a used Comp seater, call RCBS and tell them what caliber you want to change to.
The "Side Window" is IMHO, the only way to go. Lets you see where the bullet is in relation to the case neck and the bullets go in straight every time. No guesswork involved. You see the bullet as it starts in the case mouth.
And your fingers don't get in the way and get smashed when you're on a roll.
Extended shell holders make it real easy to load/ seat shorter cases also.
One RCBS Comp seater, with interchangable internal parts, will let you load a "bunch" of different calibers. I don't like swaping parts so I keep a bunch of seaters set up for all my different rounds.
20 VT, 20 VT "short" Wildcat, .204 Ruger, .221 Fireball, .223, 22 BR, 6 BR, .308, 6.8 SPC and another Wildcat in 6.8 BR. Every one works just as I want it.

Texas Solo
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
I went through the same decision awhile back. It was between the RCBS Comp die or the Forster Micro seater die. Don't recall why I chose the Forster, but I'm really happy with it. I usually load 50 rounds at a time, and they're all the exact same length measuring with my comparator. Go Forster.

JCalhoun
02-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I have some of the Forsters also. Yes, they are fine.

jb27
02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm a fan of Redding's competition seating dies w/ micrometer.

Savage22-250
02-11-2013, 07:41 PM
+1 on the rcbs window die. I love just dropping bullets in the top. I have one in 223, and now that I know about doing the swap I have one for every caliber.

DanSavage
02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm a fan of Redding's competition seating dies w/ micrometer.

Redding comp w/mic. also.