PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Thumbhole Stock?

JohnC
01-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Has anyone had experience with the Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole stocks? I like the feel of thumbhole stocks and this one looks good and the price is right. It's hard to know without feeling it in my hands. Any comments - good - bad - punt! My gun is 300 Win Mag (which I have not shot yet). Is this "Featherweight" thing a bad idea with this caliber? I don't mind a little recoil but I am kind of a stock crawler - I sometimes get a little close to the scope if I am not thinking about my cheak-weld (bad habbit). I haven't caught a scope in the face yet but I usually shoot lower power rifles. Is too light a bad thing with the magnums? Just a thought.

Thanks

seanhagerty
01-30-2013, 11:13 PM
A brake will be your friend!!

jpdown
01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
A Boyds TH quote "featherweight" LA stock at close to 3 lbs is heavier than a Savage composite or hardwood stock.

JohnC
01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
A Boyds TH quote "featherweight" LA stock at close to 3 lbs is heavier than a Savage composite or hardwood stock.

Thanks, good to know it isn't too light.

bsekf
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I have one on a light weight 7-08. I built it for my son's girlfriend, took off quite a bit of wood in the thumbhole area and tried to lighten it as much as possible. Stock finished easiely and looks good, 15 coats of spar poly. The Boyd's do not have pillars, but they are not hard to install. I see Boyd's have finished Varminter stock for $99, I think that is a good deal.

JohnC
01-31-2013, 09:07 PM
I have one on a light weight 7-08. I built it for my son's girlfriend, took off quite a bit of wood in the thumbhole area and tried to lighten it as much as possible. Stock finished easiely and looks good, 15 coats of spar poly. The Boyd's do not have pillars, but they are not hard to install. I see Boyd's have finished Varminter stock for $99, I think that is a good deal.

Thanks, I will put pillars in and bed it & still come out pretty cheap. I was planning to buy a finished stock. I think I just have to take wood out of the forend for the magnum barrel & refinish under the barrel.