PDA

View Full Version : Barrel change

possum1
01-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Not particuarly cartride smart. Can I change my steven's .243 to .250 Savage just with barrel change? I noticed the case head is different. Will I need a bolt head change also?

Fjold
01-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Nope, the bolt head will work. I change from 243 to 22.250 (same case as the 250 savage) and back all the time.

possum1
01-12-2010, 02:15 AM
;D Great can't wait to get it together, been reading alot about the 250. How do you go about the head-space, I,ve read and been told you can use a formed case.

pdog06
01-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Go to the main page and look at the articles section. There is one there for barrel swapping.

Best thing you can do is read it a couple times.

For your first time I would recommend using headspace gauges to set your headspacing.

GaCop
01-12-2010, 07:02 AM
pdog06 is right, better safe than sorry.........use a GO headspace gauge.

dolomite_supafly
01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Here (http://www.reamerrentals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=250%2D3000Sav%2Eg) is the correct headspace gauges for rent for $5, not sure on the deposit fee or shipping.

Dolomite

Three44s
01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd go with the gauges as well.

Here is what I did for my first build:

I bought a Go gauge and borrowed the tools from a member who I bought a barrel and stock from.

With the Go gauge, I placed ..... one layer of cellephane tape on the head to make it into a "minimum" No Go gauge.

............. I set up on the Go ....... then tested it with the "taped" Go gauge and when it did not close ....... I knew I was set pretty minimum.

The worse thing that can happen is rounds would not chamber that are longer than you set for.

The dangerous condition is TOO much headspace.

NOW the bugabbo:

For my next check ....... I used a live factory round. But two precautions ..... I had the firing pin, extractor and ejector REMOVED through all these tests.

AND ......... I was outside and pointing in a safe direction ........ (Next neighor ...... 20 miles!)

In your case, I'd rent or buy BOTH gauges as I have handloaded for many many years, read tons on guns and I understand headspace better as a result of that experience.

It does take a bit of back and forth to swap tubes and here's one more comment:

I found that the take up on the nut provided ME enough headspace on the GO gauge.

In other words, I turned the barrel down til it touched the Go gauge and then tightened the Savage nut. The slack in the barrel threads allow the barrel to then pull forward away from the gauge and thus allow for just a bit of headspace.

For a sporter application that may not be enough headspace to allow just any ammo to chamber but my usage is for varmints and a blown varmint hunt is not a big as a blown big game hunt.

The bad with too little headspace ........ a round might not chamber.

The bad with too MUCH headspace ........ stetched brass OR blown brass ..... and that you DON'T WANT!

Three 44s

Blue Avenger
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Go to the main page and look at the articles section. There is one there for barrel swapping.

Best thing you can do is read it a couple times.

For your first time I would recommend using headspace gauges to set your headspacing.
Now that I understand what is going on a seldom use a steel gauge. I did the first time though, as there can be a lot of uncertinty with the first one. must have reset is 20 times to see if it would come back to the same plase every time.

possum1
01-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Thank's all for the reply's. Called my smith he get's $30 for the change but don't that take the challenge out of it? WORSE CASE SCENARIO what happen's when the head space is too much? He said rifle would blow ???