PDA

View Full Version : model 116 internal mag 7mm mag build

cmac11b
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
im looking to add a match grade 20" barrel, match trigger, bolt handle, choate stock, and some other goodies to a rifle i just got. need some help on where to pick up quality parts that wont break the bank (money isnt too much of an issue just dont wanna wind up paying top dollar for junk). also my 116 has the internal mag with no floor plate and im looking for a conversion kit to make this a detachable mag or floor plate. thanks in advance i need all the help i can get

cmac11b
01-28-2013, 11:38 PM
no one?

jpdown
01-29-2013, 12:34 AM
What caliber 116 do you have now? Hard to recommend the parts you need and where to get them without more information. Sharp Shooters Supply, Northland Shooter Supply and Midway offer most of the aftermarket parts, barrels and stocks you mention. Never heard of a anyone going with a 20" 7mm RM barrel. Pretty short for optimum performance with a magnum cartridge. It will certainly be a loud, flame throwing rig.

cmac11b
01-29-2013, 12:39 AM
i have a model 116 7mm rm. has the internal mag with no floor plate and im really looking for at least a floor plate conversion or i would really like to get a detachable mag kit if anyone makes them. im used to 20" barrels for 7.62x51mm 175gr hpbt as thats what i shot in the army. suggestions r welcome as i want optimum performance from this rifle. i would just build a rem 700 .308 but this savage has sentimental value to it and im interested in the ballistics on 7mm mag

handirifle
01-29-2013, 01:56 AM
To my thinking, with a 20" barrel you'd be better off going with the 308 again, but if you want a 7mm, seems to me like from a 20" tube, there wouldn't be asnots worth of difference between the 7-08 and the 7mm Mag. Most mag rounds fare far better with a 24" or longer tube. A 26 is about ideal for hunting and getting the most from it, but if target is your game some go even longer. Just depends on what you are expecting down range.

I can tell you from experience with the 2 diff rounds, the 7mm mag will pound your shoulder a LOT more than the 308, and if you're shooting them all day at targets, you will surely notice.

That said, go with YOUR preference.

Since you have the long action, a 308, with those big bullets loaded long for extra powder space might be a big plus as well.

cmac11b
01-29-2013, 01:40 PM
i hear u on the long action r700 it has alot of possibilities but im more interested in in building a 7mm rm ive shot .308/7.62x51 for so long its time for a change and this rifle was given to me by a family member so i figure why not build this one instead of buying a new one thats why i came to this forum cuz im gonna build this 116 into a long range target/hunting out of a stand rifle. any suggestions on barrels type/length, stocks, triggers, and a detachable mag would be much appreciated. thanks

jpdown
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Take a look at a CBI varmint or light varmint contour Savage Pre-fit barrel from Northland Shooter Supply. You can't view the classified or vendor ads (?) on this site unless you become a paid member. Most of Jim's in-stock SS match barrels are 26" at NSS. But your local gunsmith can cut/recrown it to 20". Otherwise, you will need to order a custom barrel which usually takes a minimum of 8 weeks to get. Sharp Shooters Supply (SSS) stocks/sells the Savage SS metal magazine frame and bottom cap you need for converting your blind magazine box and follower to the DBM or HFP. You can also check out the other Savage factory parts they offer. You don't need a different bolt head since your rifle is already chambered in 7mmRM. Since you are swithing out the barrel, I would also get a percision ground recoil lug from NSS or SSS.

On barrel length, Handirifle and I are just making sure you were aware that a 7mmRM with a 20" barrel may be no better than a standard 7mm caliber in terms of MV and down range performance. Too much powder and not enough barrel from what I've read. Best wishes on your build.

cmac11b
01-29-2013, 06:24 PM
the sss site has the dbm kit but it says its for .308? also do u know anywhere else that carries barrels as i cant view anything from nss

airdale
01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Go with the 26" barrel for optimum performance for the Magnum round.

palerider338
02-04-2013, 11:10 PM
BTW....the 116 Alaskan in 338 Win Mag w/ 18 " barrel is a flamethrower in disguise. Need welders shield for that one.:cool:

konocti7
02-07-2013, 02:01 AM
I own 2 rifles in 7 Rem mag. Both 24 inch barrels. Shorter and you will create the effect as noted by palerider338. The magnum needs the length to burn all powder. I hunt deer and have never had an issue with the 24 inch barrel. My suggestion is to shoot it the way it is. First change the sighting system (optics, mounts, etc.). Then think of changes. For hunting there is not a lot to gain from a detachable mag so I would suggest convert to floor plate model. For parts you need to determine if you have a single stack feed or a staggered feed magazine function as it is currently operating. The bottom metal/parts are different and the bolt distances are also different. Your 7 mag will push back more than the 308. It has the ability to reach out there and introduce your intentions quite well. The heavier bullets of 160 and 175 grain have really good long range characteristics. For 140 grain I prefer my 280 remington. For longer range with 140 or heavier bullets I choose my 7 mag. My first love in the 28 caliber is the 7 mag Rem 700 made in 1964. Heavy, but a made for me friend. Luck to you and enjoy the build.

jsthntn247
02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Waisting your time with a 20" Rem mag. A better option for that short of barrel is the 7-08.

wbm
02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Wasting your time with a 20" Rem mag.

For sure! At that barrel length it becomes very inefficient. It is definitely going to get your undivided attention when you pull the trigger too.