PDA

View Full Version : B&C medalist torque question

kevin1
01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Hi,
3 quick questions :

1.It seems that the recommended torque in 65lbs/inch (front and end). Do you confirm this?
2.I’m thinking of using a torque of 50 lbs/inch. My thought is that 50 lbs/inch is strong enough to keep a solid and repeatable contact between the action and the stock. Is this a correct assumption, or I might get a better accuracy by just torqueing it at 65 lbs/inch.
3.Should I use a drop of gun oil (like Balistol) in the action screws before torqueing? Would this modify the torque value?

Thanks for your help,

Elkbane
01-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Kevin,
I run 40-45 inch lbs on mine and use "Never-seeze" on the threads, and I get consistent trip-to trip accuracy and cold bore shots dead on POI. But all my actions are bedded. My guess is that if you try to put 65 lbs on a non-bedded action, you are going to impose some deflection on the action itself at best and seriously degrade the hex key on the boltheads at worst. If you want to do some reading on this, look at "Ernie the Gunsmith" site under his treatise on mini-pillars - specifically his quote on the amount of clamping strength to can generate our of 1/4 bolts against a rigin surface like an aluminum bedding block. I have his mini-risers in a couple of rifles and they seem to work well for setting up a stress-free bedding job.

Elkbane