PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Recommendation for Savage 111 30-06

KelbyRM
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
I bought a NIB Savage 111 in 30-06 at a gun show in October. After some reading and research, I discovered that it might have been new, and in a box, but it is an older model. Dont care, was just trying to get more info on it. Serial Number F501550. There are no available resources on the Savage site for this serial number, and I wrote a letter to the Savage historian in October and havent heard anything yet. Walnut stock, hidden magazine, flat rear receiver. Cant figure out how to upload pics at this point.

All that said, I like it. Have shot about 40 rounds through it. All Remington Core-Lokt 180 grain. Optics is a Nikon Prostaff 3-9. And I must say, have not been delighted with my ability to shoot groups. Dont know if it is user error or the load I am using. I dont seem to have an issue with some other rifles I own. Does anyone have any suggestions for a round this gun likes better? Wish it was possible to buy small quantities of various manufactures rather than spending $20-$25 for a box of ammo only to discover after 6 rounds I dont like them.

Thank you!

Maztech89
01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
My 111 hates the core-lokts while my Sako loves them. Are you set up to roll your own? Fed 210m primer, 56.0 grns IMR4350 behind a 165 grn Sierra Gameking HPBT jammed into the lands works great for me.

KelbyRM
01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I have not ventured into loading my own yet, no. But good to know that another shooter has problems with Core Lokts and the 111.

Maztech89
01-28-2013, 02:57 PM
What my 111 does like and I shot before I started loading was the Federal soft points. I don't remember exact model but it wasnt any premium stuff just the 25 bucks a box, silver box last I bought. You should be a 1-10" twist barrel and they generally, not always, like 165 grain balls. I shot the 180's myself though as they were always in stock.

Apache
01-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Each rifle is different, might as well start buying and shooting till you find what it likes.

king0581
01-28-2013, 07:02 PM
My serial number f3, 111 always liked the 150gr sst hornady lite mags. Switched to the superformance and it still loves them. Best shotting factory loads I have found in this rifle. I started out shooting the federal premium in the gold box but when they switched to the fusion it was just something about it I didnt like. I tried remington and winchester and finally settled on the lite mags and now superformance since hornady switched up. I've always stayed in the 150-165gr in all the rounds I've shot though. Right now I'm down with a broken bolthead retaining pin.....

Geo_Erudite
01-28-2013, 07:28 PM
When I had my 30-06 the Ol' Core-lokts worked great. I tried the Barnes Vort-TX ammo, and the rifle shot horrible. I really wish they had worked as I wanted to hunt with Barnes TTSX bullets. Apache is correct though, what works in one rifle may not work in the next.

JCalhoun
01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Try the Federal Premium with the 165gr Sierra GameKing BTSP. They will shoot a little bigger than MOA but brutal on deer.

If you want to get the most from your rifle try handloading.

Axtell3
01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Mine shot the stock 150-165 grain loads well across the board, Fed, Rem, Win. I'm shooting 165 light magnums now, still have a couple boxes left.

Bullhed78
01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
So I took my brand new 116 weather warrior chambered in .30-06 to the range today. I have been shooting rifles for years but this was my first time shooting a bolt action rifle so take that into consideration with the info I share. I shot 1 box of Remington 150 gr. Core-Lokt's. After zeroing the rifle at 200 yards I thoroughly cleaned the barrel. I then shot 3 shot groups at 50, 100 & 200 yards. At 50 yards all three holes were touching. At 100 yards the group was just over 1". At 200 yards my group opened up to 2.25" left to right and 2.75" up and down. Your results may very. Just thought I would share what I found with 150 gr. Core-Lokt's in my .30-06

thermaler
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
So I took my brand new 116 weather warrior chambered in .30-06 to the range today. I have been shooting rifles for years but this was my first time shooting a bolt action rifle so take that into consideration with the info I share. I shot 1 box of Remington 150 gr. Core-Lokt's. After zeroing the rifle at 200 yards I thoroughly cleaned the barrel. I then shot 3 shot groups at 50, 100 & 200 yards. At 50 yards all three holes were touching. At 100 yards the group was just over 1". At 200 yards my group opened up to 2.25" left to right and 2.75" up and down. Your results may very. Just thought I would share what I found with 150 gr. Core-Lokt's in my .30-06You coming over from AR's? I did too--these are different critters though for a brand new rifle that isn't yet seasoned these sound like very good results with good promise.

Bullhed78
01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
I would not say I'm coming over from AR's because I will always stay in the AR game but yes, AR's are the rifle platform I have become proficient with. I started with Browning BAR's then went to AR's. I have decided that I wanted to add a bolt action for use as a lighter more streamline carry around the woods rifle. Thanks for the encouraging words on the accuracy. I didn't know what to expect.

thermaler
01-30-2013, 01:58 PM
I would not say I'm coming over from AR's because I will always stay in the AR game but yes, AR's are the rifle platform I have become proficient with. I started with Browning BAR's then went to AR's. I have decided that I wanted to add a bolt action for use as a lighter more streamline carry around the woods rifle. Thanks for the encouraging words on the accuracy. I didn't know what to expect.Didn't mean you were ditching em--I still use and am starting to reload for my 3 : ) My 16" stag 6.8 spc is VERY easy-handling in the woods : )

Bullhed78
01-30-2013, 02:42 PM
I love my 5.56 AR for the woods but my .308 was just big enough and just heavy enough that I would have never considered taking it out west on a hunt that involves carrying you rifle all day with the possibility for several days of carrying it. Long story but the .308 pisses me off and had to go so I figured a bolt gun would fill that niche.

thermaler
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I love my 5.56 AR for the woods but my .308 was just big enough and just heavy enough that I would have never considered taking it out west on a hunt that involves carrying you rifle all day with the possibility for several days of carrying it. Long story but the .308 pisses me off and had to go so I figured a bolt gun would fill that niche.There are some lightweight LR 308's out there (wish I had bought a 260 upper before the ban craze) which shoot very well and weigh under 10 lbs with scope--though my SASS doesn't fit that description. : ) I have the stag 6.8 spc upper for swap-out with my 5.56 AR 15, that's what I'm going to start working up loads for since they are basically a 270 at shorter ranges being launched out of a lightweight AR 15 : )