PDA

View Full Version : Need some take-down help

Pages : 1 [2]

BillPa
02-01-2013, 12:03 AM
I'm trying to think how to put my problem/question/issue with the action wrench method into words without sounding completely stupid... probably not going to succeed in that regard, so I'll just spit it out: the action wrench goes where the bolt is supposed to be... without the bolt in place behind the headspace gauge, how the heck are you supposed to set the headspace? :confused:

We're in deep doo doo! "Tecnicknel" writing aren't my strong point! :p

OK, the are two thingies that go in the receiver, the wench ... err wrench and the bolt. You only use the wrench to hold the action while loosening or tightening the nut. Other than that it just lays there and plays stupid.

Insert the wrench, loosen the nut, remove the wrench then insert the bolt and lock it. After bottoming the barrel on the gauge or case then snug the nut just enough to take the slack out of the threads. Try both gauges. If need be the action can still be turned by hand to tighten up the headspacesince the nut is only snugged, not tight at this point. If it suits, remove the bolt and install the action wrench to finish tightening the nut then try both gauges again. If not bump the nut loose and give it another go.

As I said, there's is a learning curve involved.

Bill

memilanuk
02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Ah. For removal I normally break the nut loose with the barrel clamped in the vise - that part I managed with the action wrench okay. For tightening I normally screw the receiver on hand tight, then with the bolt still closed and the gauge still in there, I torque the barrel nut to pull the slack out of the threads. After that I open the bolt and pull the GO gauge and try the NO-GO gauge. I guess I didn't trust things to stay put if I started popping the bolt open and removing the GO gauge before I had torqued the barrel nut all snuggly. Given that my version of 'hand tight' is snug enough that the bolt won't lift without some friction *until* I tighten the barrel nut... I would worry that the act of opening the bolt could back off (unscrew) the receiver ever so slightly.

Finished up cutting the foam and fitting the pieces into the case like a jig-saw puzzle... looks like it should make weight with the rifle, the scope, the bipod, the barrel wrench, the 3/4" box-end wrench, misc. small parts and accessories, and 120 rounds of match ammo in boxes. Yee-haw.

I'll have to put it back together tomorrow night and try the action wrench mojo again and see if I can make it work for me this time.

Thanks,

Monte

JCalhoun
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
How much does 120 rounds of the ammo weigh?

memilanuk
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Theoretically? A little under 8 lbs including the packaging - 185 gn bullet, ~175 gn case + primer, 44.5 gn of powder = ~404.5gn per loaded round. We'll see what it actually comes out to once I get everything actually loaded!

11 lbs / 5 kilos is the airline limit for loaded ammunition weight... might try sticking another partial box in my other checked bag just to have a few extras for sight-in.