PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Mint 99k

Jantydog
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Hello, l am new to Savage but not new to firearms. My father in law wants to sell his guns. One gun I know little about is one that he has that is a Savage .300 lever action. It was his father's and he recently passed away. I think it has been in a closet for decades.

The little research I have done in the past 1/2 hour tells me that it is a 99K. It is well engraved, metal and wood, and has spectacular grained wood and to me seems to have been fired very little. No cracks, chips, pitting.... It does have a cracked black plastic oval cover plate (about an inch that gets screwed in) at the base of the grip that I hope could be replaced.

I think this gun was made in 1937 or 1938 as the serial number is 380645. I found a SN site for Savage.

I honestly would rate this rifle at 95%.

I just don't know enough about this gun to know where to go from here. I didn't take any pics of it today but could tomorrow if that would help you folks help me to help him.

Thanks!

Larry

placek59
01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Do a search on gunbroker.com . That may give you a "going rate" for a similar, or even the same model of 99. The condition is what might be kind of tough to tell from pictures etc...

J.Baker
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Mad Dog will likely chime in next week as he's on the road this week and likely doesn't have access to a computer.

Mad Dog
02-02-2013, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't sell that gun for anything under $4000 in the U.S. right now. In that kind of condition it won't take long to sell.

I have a K in 303 Savage in the safe as well and ya, they are an eyeful.

jonbearman
03-07-2013, 04:44 PM
The 999 is the most beautiful lever action ever built and a mechanical work of art.Where do you think Bill Ruger got his idea for the 10-22 rimfire as he had a wonderful collection of 99's including heavily engraved and factory custom calibers.The 99 is King!