PDA

View Full Version : Budget Diet Creedmoor Build

Duipowerstroke
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Hey guys first time posting in here but been lurking and reading for quite some time. I got hooked long range hunting with a Remington 7mag about 5-6 years ago and didn't shoot that much but enjoyed long range shooting because its challenging and fun. Fast forward a couple of years I become a little more financially stable so I purchase a new Savage LRP 6.5 creedmoor with a Nightforce NXS 5-22. First time out I was ringing steel at 850 and was immediately hooked. Within a year I sold the LRP and had a custom built 6.5 creedmoor on a surgeon action in a XLR and picked up a GAP10 in 6 Creedmoor. I love both of the guns but they are both HEAVY about 18lbs each.

In the meantime my dad has been running a ministry for young boys that takes them hunting fishing. Well, he only has one rifle which is his 8lb 7mag that is very nice but kicks like a mule especially for a 12 year old. So he always had to borrow a gun to take hunting(usually a old lever action 243).

So I decided I want to build a relatively low recoil deer hunting gun for the kids to use and me to possibly shoot matches with. So that's when I stumbled on a build on 65Creedmoor and Snipershide that I have fallen in love with but wanted to do it on a savage action instead of remind action like his build here https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3203984

I want something that is accurate enough to shoot matches, hunt deer, and be kid friendly in stock LOP, weight, and recoil.

So here is my planned build:
Savage Left Hand Action preferably stainless but beggers can't be choosers eh?
Criterion Light Varmint or Varmint barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor cut to 18" and threaded for badger brake or suppressor.
Rifle Basix Trigger
McCrees Compact Carbine stock. Uses a AR Buffer and adjustable stock. I may have to stuff a little lead in the buffer tube to even out the weight balance of the gun.
USOptics SN3 3-17x44 or Vortex 3-15 FFP.

I can't wait to get my hands on a action so I can order the rest of the parts.

rimfirekyle
01-27-2013, 01:09 AM
sounds cool... make sure to keep us updated

RyanG
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Order the parts.... then find your action! The wait for the parts will kill ya, I promise! Im waiting on parts and its only been a month and I am having withdrawals!

And now here you come with the 6.5 build idea..... Man I like it! I want one too!

Good luck on your build and keep us informed

Ryan

jpdown
01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
The quickest and cheapest way I've found to get a new LH Savage action for DIY builds is to purchase a LH Savage Trophy Hunter XP with a hard to find 22" sporter barrel (ex .260, 6.5 Creedmore). Then part it out and sell parts as new take-offs. The Trophy XP has the Accutrigger with trigger guard bolt release, a Nikon BDC (Prostaff) scope and a composite stock with composite DBM assembly and trigger guard. The Nikon Prostaff scope should fetch $75 to $100. You can get $100 for a 260/6.5 Creedmore 22" sporter barrel. I sell the plastc stock with the DBM frame and bottom cap to someone who would like to covert their Savage/Stevens 200 CF blind magazine stock to a CF DBM stock. Purchase a Varmint Accutrigger spring from SSS (adjust down to around 1.5 lbs) for $5 instead of paying $100+ to replace the Accutrigger. Check out Buds Gun Shop for pricing. They have several Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP calibers with a LH action. And free shipping to your FFL for transfer is included in the price.

spelunk
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
sounds like an awesome build, definitely keep us updated. would love to see some pics when it is all done.

Duipowerstroke
01-27-2013, 07:48 PM
I'd order the parts but the parts all depend on the action I can find ya know? Like the action screw spacing, large shank or small shank, which version of the trigger.

I'd hate to order 4.4 stock and a small shank barrel and find a good deal on a 4.27 large shank. Do they even make large shank lefty actions???

If I don't find something here soon ill just get a cheapo 11 and sell off everything.

I promise to keep y'all updated as I progress. I should be able to get it running within a week or 2 of getting an action.

redman
01-28-2013, 02:41 AM
USOptics SN3 3-17x44 or Vortex 3-15 FFP

I'd hate to order 4.4 stock and a small shank barrel and find a good deal on a 4.27 large shank. Do they even make large shank lefty actions???

Your talking about spending up to $2700.00 on a scope and then say your worried about finding a good deal on a savage action? Man I wish I had that problem.

I think it's going to be hard to find a large shank left hand short action. Not sure but I think that would be about the hardest savage action to find.

I like everything about your build except for the muzzle break idea. A creedmoor is going to be mild even for a 12 year old. Then again it depends on the 12 year old I guess. I know I wouldn't want to be shooting next to you with that short barreled loud thing. Sure would look cool though.

Duipowerstroke
01-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Your talking about spending up to $2700.00 on a scope and then say your worried about finding a good deal on a savage action? Man I wish I had that problem.

I think it's going to be hard to find a large shank left hand short action. Not sure but I think that would be about the hardest savage action to find.

I like everything about your build except for the muzzle break idea. A creedmoor is going to be mild even for a 12 year old. Then again it depends on the 12 year old I guess. I know I wouldn't want to be shooting next to you with that short barreled loud thing. Sure would look cool though.

Ive already got the scope on a AR that I don't shoot a ton. So when its not on the AR it might go on this build. Depending on how much I actually like the rifle will depend on what type of permanent optic it will get. If I dont like it I got a couple OLD leupolds that will fit the bill. If I REALLY like it ill pickup a Viper PST or Bushnell HDMR.

Im trying to save a couple bucks when I can, Ive got a couple local places that have SCREAMING deals every once in a while. Like right now there's a savage 110? RIGHT hand for 200$.

I have no doubt it will be loud brake or not, I have a supressor on order which is great for teaching new shooters, target practice and hunting(if my state will allow it one day). Im planning on a badger or RWS removable brake that just threads and clamps on. If its too unbearable ill just put a thread protector on it instead. Kids we hunt with always are plugged or muffed regardless.

mattm0812
01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
U.S.O glass?

Very big "budget" build. Haha.

Duipowerstroke
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
U.S.O glass?

Very big "budget" build. Haha.

Sub 2k optic included. Everybodies definition of "budget" is different. One man considers a 92 mazda miata a budget race car while others consider a 2012 Z06 a budget race car compared to P1 Prototype that costs millions.

redman
01-28-2013, 04:57 PM
We are just jealous is all. ;)

Duipowerstroke
02-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Ordered a Savage 11 Nikon package in 243. Going to sell the barrel scope rings and stock.

embalmer883
02-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I hope I'm not right, but if the model 11 has the bolt release inside the trigger guard it want fit in a Mcree stock.

Duipowerstroke
02-04-2013, 12:47 AM
I hope I'm not right, but if the model 11 has the bolt release inside the trigger guard it want fit in a Mcree stock.

Yep, it says side bolt release only. ****it! Well... I'll return it or find another stock.
They also don't offer a lefty model...

Aren't all new actions bottom release now a days???

mattm0812
02-04-2013, 12:42 PM
It's hard finding stocks for the new bolt release.

I know the McMillan A5 works and a couple stockade stocks.

palerider338
02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
So does the XLR chassis. was talking to Kyle about it before the Shot Show

missed
02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
It's hard finding stocks for the new bolt release.

I know the McMillan A5 works and a couple stockade stocks.

Stockade, MCMillan, Whidden were the only stocks I was finding that would work work our bottom bolt release, and the Whidden can be inletted for the factory dbm. I think I'm going to end up with the Whidden to avoid spending all the extra money for new bottom metal and magazines when the one that came with my guns suits me just fine.

stangfish
04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Pick up a FLCPK stock and be done with it

Duipowerstroke
04-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Picked up the .243 donor for the build today. Got some irons in the fire converting it to top bolt release.

jonbearman
04-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I hate to admit this but the AR-15 would be a great gun to train youngsters on with very little recoil and they are fairly accurate to boot.Dont get me wrong,I am a savage guy but the truth be known,the AR platform is perfect for young shooters as well.