PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: .17 WSM Barrel Life

claytonsdad
01-26-2013, 05:45 PM
I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else, but this caliber looks like a really fun addition to the arsenal. Not being experienced with small calibers at high velocities, I was wondering if there were any concerns about barrel life?

sharpshooter
01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Being that there are no guns or ammo available at this point, we might find out in 2 yrs.

geargrinder
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else, but this caliber looks like a really fun addition to the arsenal. Not being experienced with small calibers at high velocities, I was wondering if there were any concerns about barrel life?

With that kind of bore size and powder capacity, barrel life shouldn't be too bad.

I wish they had chose a different name. When I think 17wsm, I get a mental picture of a 50bmg necked down to 30 caliber.

CJnWy
01-28-2013, 02:57 AM
Glad its not only me thats getting that mental pic....Just dont see it being enough different from the HMR to warrent but I'm still trying to figure a 17x28 so it can be reloaded.

handirifle
01-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Glad its not only me thats getting that mental pic....Just dont see it being enough different from the HMR to warrent but I'm still trying to figure a 17x28 so it can be reloaded.

Well I dont have one in, my near future, but I can see a HUGE difference, 700fps to be exact. The HMR puts out the 20gr at 2300 and the WSM puts out a 20gr at 3000fps, that's a huge difference. I see this thing taking ground squirrels to 300yds easily and foxes to 200 easily. Lots of power there.

Since the case is small, along with powder capacity, I can imagine barrel life not even being an issue.

Now getting the gun or ammo might be another story altogether.

claytonsdad
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM
I was just thinking that this might be enjoyable to have. I also see sending a lot of rounds down range and if barrel life is an issue, it would greatly reduce the fun factor for me.

handirifle
01-29-2013, 12:36 AM
I have read a lot of posts about guys with the 22 and 17 K-Hornets, and none of them have complained about barrel life. The 17 K-Hornet has about 800fps over the 17 WSM, so I seriously doubt it will ever be an issue.

Now here is what I would like to do/see, is mount a 17 WSM barrel on my centerfire Savage, and build a modified bolt that hits the rim instead of center. I have an idea that has been rattling around in my skull. I wonder if a new firing pin could be built with an offset pin, at the tip only, then could a bolt head be drilled for the new offset pin? But that's a whole new idea altogether.