PDA

View Full Version : Questions for future modifications

tgcallen
01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Hey guys, pretty new to savage/high powered in general.

Being trying to do a research on a lot of things, but just a few more questions I didin't find/didn't know what to search for.

I have a model 10fxp3 w accutrigger, centerfeed SA.

I want to eventually blueprint/replace stock/replace barrel.

Kind of new to the whole blueprinting/truing the action, can I just do that now, or should I wait till I change the barrel to do that?

Replacing stock, Kind of set with an xlr chassis with the DBM. Will it be as simple as putting a bottom metal piece and using the magazine to load the gun, or will additional work be required.

And Lastly, If i replace the stock first, it has a contour barrel right now, but looking to eventually upgrade to heavy bull, will it be ok to leave the barrel in the stock until being replaced, or do you guys see it being affected in terms of accuracy and harmonics?

Really appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks.

pdog06
01-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Have the action timed and trued from SSS when you are ready to replace the barrel. It all has to come apart anyway to do it, and SSS will also true the barrel nut. And I would recommend one of their precision recoil lugs as well.

The stock can be swapped at any time, and I honestly do not see how taking it out of a factory savage synthetic stock and putting it into an XLR could make your accuracy worse. It should do nothing but make it better. It may not look right with the small barrel right now, but you'll be changing that anyway.

mattri
01-26-2013, 07:25 PM
If you replace the stock with one contoured for a heavy barrel but leave the factory barrel on for now it won't hurt anything. Worse case scenario it may look a little strange but it will definitely be floated.

As far as the action work goes another option to consider is Stockade Guns (308) 432-5114. They will true and time your action, and can install a barrel if you choose.

Not trying to start WW3 here but I have dealt with both SSS and Stockade and will never use SSS again. In my experience their products are decent at best and their customer service/support is absolutely laughable. Every dealing I've had with Stockade on the other hand has been outstanding. Their products and the quality of work is second to none and their service/support is unreal. Kevin Rayhill (owner of Stockade) is a great guy to work with and has at times talked me out of things that would have made him more money. Do what you will but its something to consider.

Nandy
01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I had an action timed and trued by SSS and they did a great job... My advise will be to shoot the gun without the T&T first then see if you thing the gun will have any benefit from the blue printing.

tgcallen
01-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Cool, I have a plan of attack now. Thanks a lot for the responses guys. At 100 yards I feel like it's a laser already, can't wait to do some of these things to make it better.

Nandy
01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
If your gun is very accurate then blueprinting it migth not do a thing and timing the action has nil affect in accuracy. I'm not saying "don't do it" I'm saying you might not need it, that is why I say shoot the gun, compare it and then decide. If money is not object and you don't mind the downtime then go for it.

tgcallen
01-27-2013, 05:12 AM
Thanks, i really want the smoother action, but that's last, doesn't come before (of course) scope, stock, and barrel.

tgcallen
01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Oh yea about the DBM. currently it's a blind mag, with putting the xlr on, is it as simple as just putting on the bottom metal (if needed) and attaching a mag? or a little more work required?

Thanks!