PDA

View Full Version : model 16 mag question - "NEWB"

timsdl72
01-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi all, I actually joined before purchasing my rifle. I've known the Savage name since I was about 10yrs old (yeh that was some time ago). My grandfather had a .22 / .410 over / under he would hunt with. I always thought that was a cool gun. My father has it now and someday, I assume it will be mine. Anyway.... my question.
I purchased a model 16fcss in .308 Win. It has the spring loaded lever inletted into the bottom of the stock. I skipped the hunter package because the one they showed me seemed to have been fitted for the Axis style mag. I wanted the release to be in the stock / receiver rather than a plastic tab.
The prescribed mag seems to be out of stock at Savage but it seems to me that any model mag should fit (assuming for instance that the model 14 was chambered for .308). Is this assumption correct? Perhaps it wouldn't have the stainless bottom metal but shouldn't it still fit?
Also, after looking at the box more closely, it sure seems like someone would be making a higher capacity mag for this. With the catch and the release cut being on the side of the box it looks like it might be fairly easy to extend a mag box. Anything available out there? Thanks!!

stangfish
01-26-2013, 05:44 PM
No, savage has changed a few times in recent history. I am thinking yu are talking about the part that is removable, a term used around here is DBM. If yours is a new gun it is a centerfeed with a metal bottom or "cap", the detachable part comes in several pieces. Do you want the whole assembly or just the bottom, the cap, the magazine, the follower and spring(one part).

timsdl72
01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
What I'm looking for is the ability to have another 4 rounds handy. Drop the mag and insert the next. DBM is what I would call it. It is a new rifle, manufactured this summer sometime.

Bossman
01-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Check out Sharp Shooter Supply: http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Also, this one should work- although it's not in stainless: https://store.savagearms.com/magazines-misc-parts/magazine-box-10fc-11fc-12fcv.html Looks like the 308 is in stock

J.Baker
01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Edit: Scratch that - see link above

timsdl72
01-26-2013, 09:51 PM
That was exactly the one I looked at that made me ask the question. I don't care so much about the stainless and couldn't figure out what other difference there was. Seems Savage uses differing model numbers to highlight options such as barrel materials / profiles, stock options, or scope vs iron sights. But the basic physical design seems to be the same among their 110 based models. Thanks!