PDA

View Full Version : About .250 Savage...

Salvo
01-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Recently I have planned upon purchasing a Savage Model 16 FHSS in .250 Savage - but upon checking the online suppliers I found that nobody seems to have the ammunition or even the brass in stock.

I guess I could break down and order a .243 instead, but first I thought I would ask here if anybody knows a good, reliable source of .250 Savage ammo and/or brass.

Thank you!

kslefty
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM
There is always a lot on gunbroker, new and once fired. Do a search exactly like this 250 savage -22-250- this eliminates all the 22-250 stuff.

Salvo
01-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I appreciate the information, but the time to order my firearm came up earlier today and I had to make a decision. - After coming up empty at several major suppliers when looking for .250 Savage ammunition or brass, I decided to go with .243 Winchester. In the 16 FHSS action, the .243 chambering comes with a 24" barrel, which sounds interesting. All the other chamberings for that action including the short magnums come with 22" tubes.

I have plans to make alternate barrels for the gun, the first being chambered for .358 Winchester, and after that I plan to develop a .250 Savage barrel as well, perhaps also 24" long.

The idea of barrel-swapping is intriguing to me, as I am a cartridge enthusiast and machinist. Being able to swap barrels should free up some cash for other interests.

kslefty
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I will be real surprised if you model 16 has a 24" barrel. I bet it is a misprint, have yet to buy or see any with anything but a 22" barrel unless it is a WSM which I have never owned.

Salvo
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I thought it was weird too, and 'misprint' was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it on the Savage website.

Look up the "Weather Warrior" Model 16 FHSS to see the listing.

But when I talked to the lady at the Savage custom shop, she verified the 24" barrel. - I'm a firm believer in not getting worked up over expectations though... If it turns out to be 22", I won't be disappointed. Both lengths have their advantages, and I am certain that my wife will be delighted with the gun in any case. - I ordered the gun with a laminated thumbhole stock instead of the accustock. She's crazy about the thumbhole stock on my Savage .17HMR rifle and this one looks about the same. The extra weight will soak up recoil, and I can always install a decelerator recoil-pad if the kick is still an issue.

My wife hates shooting my magnums and big-bore stuff, so I'm trying to fix her up with a creampuff. - I'll probably enjoy shooting it too, truth be told. - Especially after I put together a .358 Winchester swap-barrel for it, Haw Hawr!

crashnrondo
01-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Too late now but Cabelas almost always has brass in stock and loaded ammo.

Salvo
01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Not too late at all, and I appreciate the pointers on obtaining .250 Savage ammunition and brass. I plan to set up a swap barrel in .250 Savage as I live in a windy location, and theorize that .250 Savage will deal with the wind better than .223 Remington for 'walk around' varminting here. The barrel should last through a good many rounds too, as it is a fairly low pressure cartridge.

When I obtain the .250 Savage barrel, I'll have to make a decision as to whether to keep the .243 barrel or not. It might work out well to keep it around for deer and dedicate the .250 Savage to varmints.

kslefty
01-12-2010, 11:32 PM
If the .243 has gone to 24" barrel the 25-06 HAS to be next I would hope. I would be happy with either but the 24 could always be shortened later if you don't like it.