PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with 10FP

alee18
01-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Hello

I just picked up a used savage 10FP LE in 308. It currently sits in the bell and Carlson varmint medalist stock. The seller kept on saying that this rifle is long action and therefore he had to order the stock for long action which cost $400 from midway USA instead of normal price of $260 for short action savage 10FP.

The prefix on the rifle is G86xxxx. How can I tell if mine is short or long action? I thought all 308 were short actions. And lastly what's benifit of short over long besides weight saving and vise versa ?

Thanks.

ellobo
01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
All models with a 2 digit number are small actions. 3 digit are long actions. a 10 model is a short action. I do not think the B&C stock costs $400. Check MidwayUSA website for stock prices. I think this guy is full of bull tooky. For a proper fitting stock check out the advertiseers here like Stocky's and Boyds. Boyds laminate stocks are under $100 and are drop in's, no fitting required. And they will checker them for an additional $50. Stokeys Stocks has a much greater selection of designs available if Boyd doesnt have what you want.

El Lobo

JCalhoun
01-25-2013, 05:57 PM
The action screw spacing is longer on the LA.

Maybe he put a 10FP barrel on a 110 action?

thirty06
01-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Run the serial # on Savage parts finder and it will tell you what it was orignaly.

tbartley
01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Hey pal, you can also flip your rifle over and measure the action screw spacing and tell if the barrel is still in the short action or if it's been changed. Not too hard to figure out. Here's the link for measurements:

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

Good luck.

alee18
01-26-2013, 02:03 AM
Great info guys.

1) I checked the parts finder on savage.com it says it is "MOD 10FP 308 WIN (AT"
2) Also got the original box that says Savage 10FP
3) When I measured the action it was 3" on top round feeder and about 4.4" on the bottom between the screws.

Everything checks out that it is original 10, idk why the guy would insist that its long action.

He said that he ordered regular B&C medalist for savage 10 short action for $260 and it didn't fit then he called midway and they said that some old savage 10's were all short action and new ones are sometimes long action or vise versa I forget. Then midway had to order long action one and they charged him $400 for the stock... aghh people and their tails.. dont see whats the point of making things up.

Thanks