PDA

View Full Version : Firing pen strikes

gambler_m_99
01-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I have Savage 110 in 30-06 cal. I keep getting very light firing pin strikes, barely making a mark on the primer. Is this common or just this rifle? any clues on how to fix this would be appreciated.

jibben
01-24-2013, 06:42 PM
New to you rifle?
bolt release on the side?
Some of the old wood stocks, the bolt release portion of the sear would drag on the side of the stock slowing it down.
It could also be slowed by a trigger that had all the free travel removed and the sear would drag on the trigger.
Grease? broken tip? crud in the hole?

gambler_m_99
01-24-2013, 06:55 PM
New to you rifle?
bolt release on the side?
Some of the old wood stocks, the bolt release portion of the sear would drag on the side of the stock slowing it down.
It could also be slowed by a trigger that had all the free travel removed and the sear would drag on the trigger.
Grease? broken tip? crud in the hole?

The gun is new to me. It was bought new in 2010 and has the synthetic stock. How would I check the free travel on the trigger ( it seams to break at about 3 1/2 pounds ).

stangfish
01-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Clean and lubricate the bolt and firing pin assembly using a medium synthetic or non gumming oil. You may need to buy some Kroil or something similar and soak the bolt if you dont want to tear it apart. It is my bet that someone used the wrong lubricant or it hs just been neglected. A clean a lubricated firearm is a HAPPY firarm.

stangfish
01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
The Bolt can be pulled out from the rear of the action. Depending on the style of bolt release you will push on it and pull the trigger while bulling directy back on the bolt when in the open position. Clean it inside and out. then lubricate. It may need to be lubricated well after cleaning. By some"penatrating/ lubricant spray. WD40 is one but i dont recomend that except as a last resort.

pdog06
01-26-2013, 07:05 PM
The question/problem the other member(choclabs) posted was not the same issue as the one for the OP in this thread. SO I just split his question off into a new thread(accutrigger issue), along with the replies that pertained to his issue. Incase anyone wondered where the other posts went to...LOL

Carry On.

short round
01-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Clean & lube bolt. With bolt removed, decock bolt & check firing pin protrusion in fired position, should be .035 to .055. Also check cocking piece pin, in fired position it should be free to wobble a little. If pin is not adjusted properly it will act as firing pin stop.