PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage rifles

DaveM
01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Hello My second post and already I need help. Actualy I've been a shooter for awhile but have had little experience with Savage rifles. Recently I bought a Model 12 in .223. It's a 26 inch heavy barrel with a larger bolt knob. According to it's serial number I think it was made in 2006 or since. It has a G prefix in a synthetic stock with Accu trigger. Is this rifle an FV? I am having some difficulty in sorting all this out. In the FAQ section the is some info but not clear enough to me on what model it really is. I'm assuming the spaceing is taken from bolt in front of the trigger guard to the tang bolt, like on a K98. Also is a Model 12 really an upgraded 110 or something else. Thanks for your help in advance, I realize for most of you this is basic stuff but I'd really like to get started off on the right foot.

J.Baker
01-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Assuming it has a blued finish it would indeed be a Model 12 FV.

As for determining the screw spacing, see this FAQ article:
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

The spacing is measured from the screw in front of the trigger guard to the forward most screw (just forward of the ejection port) as shown in the photo's in the above article. The rear screw under the tang is just a wood screw to secure the rear of the trigger guard.

As for the model numbers, they're pretty much all the same. Two-digit numbers are short-actions and three-digit numbers are long actions. The different numbers (i.e. 110, 111, 112, etc.) just denote the different series' which have different features/options (stainless steel v. blued; synthetic v. hardwood stock; heavy v. sporter barrel). The only discernible difference between any of the actions is in the adjust-ability of the AccuTrigger. All non Target/Competition Model 12/112's and Model 10/110's in the Law Enforcement line have the "varmint" AccuTrigger that is adjustable down to 1.5 pounds. Target models come equipped with the 6oz. "target" AccuTrigger (red blade). All other models come with the 2.5 pound "hunting" AccuTrigger.

DaveM
01-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Indeed it sounds like the FV. It is blued and has a blind magazine. There is one other slight problem, or I assume it's a problem. The bolt lift is stiff. Not overly but noticesably so. Is this common? BTW I read at the top of the forum Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut. Could someone explain this to me.

J.Baker
01-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Stiff bolt lift is normal when cocking (after pulling the trigger) and it's the result of a timing issue that Savage refuses to acknowledge and address. It doesn't affect the accuracy or safety by any means, it's just a lack of attention to detail on their part.

As for the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut" slogan, it's exactly what it says. The Savage 110-based rifles have always had a barrel nut, the people on this site are all fans/owners of the Savage 110, thus a "brotherhood" of sorts.

DaveM
01-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Gotcha, thanks. Stiff bolt lift is Savages way of sayin working as intended. Is there a fix for this or is just the way it is?

ellobo
01-25-2013, 04:08 PM
There is a fix for this. It is called "Trueing and Timing". Fred Moreo at SharpShootersSupply is the only one I am aware of who does a true timing of the componenets that Savage does not do. It is the timing that gives you a great bolt lift. Any good gunsmith can true an action by facing off the the contact surfaces for making the barrel centerline in line with the action centerline. Only the timing will give you a better lift. There is one other way but it doesnt really gain much.

El Lobo

tbartley
01-25-2013, 08:07 PM
"As for the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut" slogan, it's exactly what it says. The Savage 110-based rifles have always had a barrel nut, the people on this site are all fans/owners of the Savage 110, thus a "brotherhood" of sorts."

^^^That is what makes these rifles the best thing going to build, swap, etc. There are many possibilities for relatively inexpensive modifications to your Model 12 that will expand the rifle from what it now is.

DaveM
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Good information gentlemen. Thank you. Good to hear that there are getting to be more options for accuruzing/ improving these Savage rifles. I'm going to wait until I can get some good range time before doing any mods if any. I may like it just the way it is. The barrel nut thing seemed like a double entendre. You know nuts holding a barrel. Never mind. Comedy is not my strong point.