PDA

View Full Version : 16 Bear Hunter 300 WSM hinge plate problem

Huge29
01-24-2013, 12:05 AM
I just took my new 16 Bear Hunter 300 WSM to the range for the first time on Monday. Purchased new from Davidson's. Shooting all hand loads in the middle of the prescribed ranges. I shot 12 times all from the lead sled and almost with every shot the hinge plate flew open with each shot. I tried it with empty magazine, one in the magazine and two in the mag with all of the same results.
Is there any obvious things to look at other than the most obvious answer that it be clipped in, which it was?
Assuming that it does need to be shipped in for repair, would you recommend utilizing Savage or the Davidson's lifetime guarantee?

BTW it shot very well, once I finally got it on paper at 100 with about 0.8" group; I was really rushed as the range was closing... First one I have owned with a muzzle brake, so I still need to get used to the stinky exhaust blowing in my face, similar to a black powder with a little headwind. Very light recoil with the help of the brake and sled.

sharpshooter
01-25-2013, 02:47 AM
There is an adjustment screw in the floor plate release lever. Try tweaking it a bit.

Huge29
01-26-2013, 02:41 AM
There is an adjustment screw in the floor plate release lever. Try tweaking it a bit.
Thank you sir! That did it! I took it out and ran about 24 shots w/o any further issues, thanks!