PDA

View Full Version : New Guy - Need Some Advice.

JohnC
01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
I am new to Savage bolt guns. I just bought a 111 300 Win Mag because It was a good deal. I wanted a 308. I know the bolt face is different; is it possible/easy to change calibers? I just don't need that much power for Florida hunting. Besides, I can't afford to feed it! I figure I will save the 300 parts for a trip to the mountains one day.
By the way, I and my rifle are lefty but I don't know that that matters.

Thank you,

stumpjumper400
01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Since it is a long action, you'll need a mag box of the 30-06 variety. A .473 boltface and while your changing barrels, an aftermarket recoil lug. The lefty thing only matters on the boltface I think but don't hold me to that. I'm sure others will chime in that know the bottom line.

Steve

mnbogboy2
01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Yes, you will need a left hand .473 bolt head....The current mag box may or may not work...I just purchased a 110 7mm Mag last Sat at a gun show with a staggered feed mag...brought it home, changed just the bolt head and barrel to a .260 Rem (one of a bunch of barrels looking for some "action")...This rifle fed unbelievably well with no mag adjustments at all....If yours is a center feed however, you may find lots of feeding problems that require loads of tweeking even if you change the mag & follower...
Good luck and remember once you start this savage hobby there is no cure for the addiction that follows!
Randy

JohnC
01-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the help. The tweaking is more fun than the shooting for me so I am looking forward to getting into it.