PDA

View Full Version : mag pops out

Jonaathan
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
I have a Model 111 chambered for 30-06. Frequently when I fire it the magazine pops out usually taking the fitting in the receiver with it.

J.Baker
01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
The fitting in the receiver? What you talkin' bout Willis? :noidea:

SlimySquirrel
01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Post a picture of what you mean boss and someone here will sort you out!

Jonaathan
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
The schematic calls it part #14, magazine guide assembly, long-P/N 1029798.

stangfish
01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
What is the serial number of you rifle. Or pictures.....

Jonaathan
01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Serial number is G166703.

thirty06
01-22-2013, 07:29 PM
It appears yours is a staggered feed action. Your mag housing should have a tab on the front and rear that locks into the action.
Check and see if one end or the other is broke or bent. If it is it will do what you are describing.
You may be able to tweek it a bit to fix.

Jonaathan
01-22-2013, 08:27 PM
thirty06,
I tried forcing the tabs into the slots with a bolt and long nut. The problem isn't near as bad but still not reliable. I've considered soldering maybe a very high quality solder. The problem I see before getting started is trying to get a torch inside the receiver. My theory in posting this is that others have the same problem and maybe someone has come up with a solution. The factory was of no help. Thanks.

handirifle
01-23-2013, 12:08 AM
OK first off I would FORGET the thought of soldering. Not necessary, and can cause big issues if not careful with the heat. You are referring to a detachable magazine rifle, I assume, the one with the release button on the side of the stock. I have one just like it.

The magazine well (the part with the tabs on it) is supposed to stay on the receiver. There may be a couple reasons it does not.

The first might be if someone SLOWLY tried to force it into the slots on the receiver. usually all this does is bend the mag well, that's not good, but can be fixed. The second reason might be cause the tabs do not fully engage the slots in the receiver, and this usually happens because of reason number one.

If you place the mag well up beside the receiver and it looks like the tabs would seat themselves at least 75% into the slots you should be OK. If not, you can usually fix it but taking some of the BOW out of the mag well, that got put in there when trying to force it in slowly. I have just taken pliers padded with a cloth and squeezed the mag well, until it sprang back to where it should be. It does not take huge amounts of squeezing.

Once that is correct, then with the barreled receiver removed from the stock, stand it on the muzzle. Place a towel or rug under so as not to damage the muzzle. Then take the magazine well, and slip the front (muzzle end) tab into the front slot. Make sure you have it in the right way (it says front, with an arrow on the mag well).

next place the rear tab against the rear slot, and taking a wide flat blade screwdriver, and a ball pein hammer, you will place the screwdriver blade in a corner of the mag well so as to apply pressure TOWARDS the receiver, yet downward as well. Give it a good solid whack, while still applying inward pressure, and it should just pop right into place.

Believe it or not, that is the fastest and safest way to get it in there. That is also the best way to remove it, should you ever have to later, which is why you DON'T solder it in.

Let me know if you still don't get it. I will try to post some pics of jwhat the angles ought to look like. Once you do it, you'll think, Wow, that was simple.

When I first got my 110, 30-06, it did the same thing, plus the second round never fed right. Problems solved with one simple whack, ONCE I figured out what the heck was wrong.

handirifle
01-23-2013, 12:10 AM
thirty06,
I tried forcing the tabs into the slots with a bolt and long nut. The problem isn't near as bad but still not reliable. I've considered soldering maybe a very high quality solder. The problem I see before getting started is trying to get a torch inside the receiver. My theory in posting this is that others have the same problem and maybe someone has come up with a solution. The factory was of no help. Thanks.

My guess is you've squeezed it too much. If it's still in both slots, try squeezing the sides of the mag well inwards until it give you full tab engagement. Also make sure the tabs did not get bent at a downward angle, allowing it to slip out easily. A side view pic would help with a positive diagnosis.