PDA

View Full Version : Long action "rail" and rings????

treeworkplus
01-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Any suggestions on a low combination for my older long action Savage build in 22-250? I purchased an EGW picatinny rail and "low" rings but the combination was too high with my 6-24X44 Hawke scope. The EGW rail is taller than most. Lots of options for short actions but I'm unable to find a low "rail" for my long action.

Thanks for any info
Mike

JackinSD
01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
My first thought is to raise the cheek placement. Using a cheek pad or the like. Someone else may have a different fix, but that's my first thought.

pitsnipe
01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
I concur with Jack. Try to get the scope as low as possible with base and rings (within 1/4" of the barrel) Then just raise the cheek rest with a Karstens or slip on. You wont regret the solid cheek placement. Most stocks are not made with a high enough comb for proper cheek weld even WITH the lowest scope placement anyway.
Good luck.

treeworkplus
01-22-2013, 03:48 PM
A good suggestion I use on my model 16 Weather Warrior 22-250 coyote gun. My scope is very close to the barrel and I still had to shape a piece of wood, duct tape it to the accustock and slide one of those $8 elastic butt stock bullet holders over it. Looks great and perfect cheek weld!
I'm trying to mount the scope as low as possible on a 308 to 22-250 build. Using the "Point Blank" ballistic program, one of the inputs is scope height above bore. The lower the scope, the longer the distance before hold over/under is needed. We use dogs to run the coyotes here in Northern Michigan and shots are always at unknown distances.

Thanks for the good suggestions!
Mike

geargrinder
01-22-2013, 09:56 PM
The Weaver Tacticals are shorter than the EGW's. Cheaper too.

treeworkplus
01-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the Weaver suggestion. I checked and can't find them for my flat rear version. I looked at your pictures closer and notice yours is a round rear receiver.

Mike