PDA

View Full Version : Problems Full Length Resizing

smax
01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
I just got started reloading and the first cartridges I reloaded were 308 Winchester. Everything went great, no problems at all. Last night I go to reload some 270 Winchester and I am having some issues.

I am using a Lee single stage press and Lee full length resizing die. To setup the die I run the ram all the way up with the cartridge holder and thread the die in until it touches the cartridge holder. Then I lower the ram and turn the die in another 1/4 turn and lock it down.

I then lube up the cases with the case lube that came with the Lee kit and run them into the die. When I go to pull the case out of the die the decapping stem gets stuck in the case and pulls the pin out of the die. It is not getting stuck in the flash hole the part of the stem that sizes the neck ID gets stuck at the base of the neck and pulls the entire stem out of the die no matter how tight the lock nut is. This is with the stem adjusted flush with the top of the locking nut per the instruction.

If I adjust the stem down about 1/4" into the locking nut it no longer gets stuck but it does feel very rough pulling through the neck of the case. Should I just use the die set up like this or is there something else going on here? I am sure that I am using plenty of resizing lube and I tried this with Federal, Remington and Winchester brass all having the same results.

thermaler
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Oddly enough, I'm a beginner too--and ran into problems with my first go at 270 as well. What I finally figured out was the problem was that the die itself was not adjusted properly. I just assumed that the decap pin and neck resizing collar were properly installed and positioned, but they weren't--I'm guessing somebody screwed around with the die while on the display shelf at my LGS. In other words, just like getting a new rifle, I now disassemble, clean, adjust and reassemble any dies I buy before using them.

seanhagerty
01-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Setting up dies are sometimes tough. Lets talk about what happens in the die as we full length resize a case.

On the upstroke of the press, we are making things smaller (Shoulders, neck and case body to some extent.) The die makes the case neck smaller than the final diameter during this process.

On the down stroke, we are pulling this smaller than the desired diameter case neck over the expander mandrel. This is a tough thing to do, as we have already work hardened the neck abit by firing and resizing, so it will be significantly harder than the up stroke.

So, here are some things to check:

Make sure you have the nut that holds the decaper/sizer tight. I mean real tight. Then get it tighter!! Another thing I did was, I took the expander out and polished it lightly with 600 grit emery cloth too. It makes the neck slide over this part a little easier.

Make sure you pass a brush through the necks to clean out a bit of the carbon from the last firing. Unless you are wet tumble cleaning, you wont get it out. Also, make sure you get some lube on the inside of the case necks. If you dont, it will be tough to extract the sized case over the expander mandrel.

One other thing you may want to try is annealing. It will soften the necks and makes it easier to resize them.

Try these and see if your problem doesnt get better.

One last thought, try some different lube. I use Unique case lube and Imperial sizing wax. Resizing gets real easy when you use the proper lube.

Sean

82boy
01-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Welcome to reloading. I hate to say it but this is why I pay a tad bit more and get RCBS dies. Nothing wrong with lower cost dies such a lee, but sometimes they just aint total right. I have also found that is you have a problem with a LEE die, such as if you break a decaping pin, they want to charge you where RCBS will bend over backwords to get you on the right track, and with that said the little bit more you pay ends up cheaper in the long run. Most time I find that in lower cost dies it take a bit of work on the customer part to make things right. You may have to take the sizing button stem out and polish it. I had a hornady die that drove me nut untill I found that the sizing button was out of speck, once they sent me a new button it was fine. You may also find that some dies are a bit longer than the should be and will need sanded to make them fit the brass, to produce the proper sizing functions.

Now to get onto your die problem. When you set up a die, the way you did it works for a beginer, there is more advanced ways of setting up the die, when you get to that point. What I am seeing from your decription is that your decaping pin/neck expander is not properly set. You have it set too high in the die, and waht is actualy going on is it is fighting against the die. Witht he die set up the decapping pin should be exposed out of the bottom of the die. Hornady dies have a actual size picture to compair it to. Forster recamends that the expanding button be set up at or below the vent hole as a reference in thier dies. Try moving the decaping/sizing button down lower in the die, I would stat with the pin exposed about 1/4 inch below the die. Before you start using the set up make sure that there is no interference between it and the ram in your press.

As mentioned above use a good lube like imperial, royal, or unique. Try lubbing the insides of your case necks with a bit of motor mica, or graphite. (I dont recamend using the wax or sizing lubes mentioned as powder will stick to them.) ((Simple case neck graphiter, get a small jar put some small shot in it from a #7 shot shot sheel, get a tube of graphite (Use for locks.) in the automotive section, and dump it all in to the jar.)) make sure your dies are clean take them apart and wipe them out with a bit of alcohol, or laque thiner. If you do use the products mentioned (Not the graphinet or motor mica.) above make sure you wipe you case clean after use with a rag and a bit of alcohol. Make sure your brass is clean before you size them ,as the crud on the neck from firing can cause damage to the dies, and it will embed, and then the die will start scratching the cases. You dont have to tumble them just take a piece of 0000 steel wool, and rub it around the case neck.

Hoep this helps good luck.

smax
01-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! I will take everything apart tonight to inspect and hopefully get it all worked out.

mattm0812
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
I found that screwing the die in only 1/4 does not bump the shoulders back enough. I believe on the back of the paper that comes with the die, it says to turn it a full turn for the full size die, but I could be wrong.

smax
01-22-2013, 05:14 PM
My instructions that came with the die set say to touch the shell holder and then turn the die in 1/4-1/3 turn more.

smax
01-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Last night I messed with it some more and got it to work somewhat. I can size about 3-4 cases and then it hangs up again. I am starting to think the die is not to spec. I tried everything I could think of. I even tried to use more lube and all that did was make dents in the cases where the lube was getting trapped in the die.

acemisser
01-23-2013, 05:51 PM
you only have to bump the shoulder back a thousands or 2 and that should do it..
:peace:

KRP
01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Pull the expander, chuck it in a drill, and polish it up a little with some emery clotch/scotch brite/etc.. Make sure that collet that holds it is good and tight when you put it back together. I do almost all my sizing with Lee lube(in a spray bottle mixed with rubbing alcohol to apply it), there is nothing wrong with it. You are lubing the inside of the necks correct?

smax
01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I got it all worked out. Took the dia apart and thoroughly cleaned everything. Chucked the expander in a drill and polished it with scotch brite and now its working great. Thanks for all of the input from everyone.