PDA

View Full Version : Bedding a Savage

beubanks
01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Kinda new to the Savage rifles when you guys bed a savage action do you float the tang makes sence that you would

BillPa
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Kinda new to the Savage rifles when you guys bed a savage action do you float the tang makes sence that you would

I float the tang, but not because its the "trend" to do so. With the rear action screw location the tang only become a convenient place to hang a trigger, not to mention floating it requires less prep work,cleanup and goop. I'm not only lazy but cheap too! I've bedded them both ways with equal results.

Bill

Nandy
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
It is said that for savage the tang needs to be floating.

seanhagerty
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I have bedded two savages. I floated the tang on both of them and am VERY happy with the results.

beubanks
01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
I floated mine last night i floated it up to the back of the receiver is that correct

seanhagerty
01-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Float it all the way forward to the rear action screw.

beubanks
01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks

supergolfer18
01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
any photos of the bedding job?

I am thinking about doing my Savage

beubanks
01-23-2013, 07:26 PM
I haven't bedded it yet i just releaved the tang it was floating on one side and touching on the other i still have to shoot it when the weather gets better its in a boyd stock and is pillar bedded i may not glass bed it if it shoots ok its a hunting rifle if it shoots under a inch i will leave it alone but when i get it painted and finish the stock i'll post some pics Bill

Speedrat1
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
I haven't bedded it yet i just releaved the tang it was floating on one side and touching on the other i still have to shoot it when the weather gets better its in a boyd stock and is pillar bedded i may not glass bed it if it shoots ok its a hunting rifle if it shoots under a inch i will leave it alone but when i get it painted and finish the stock i'll post some pics Bill
I just got done with a VT Boyds and I found the tang was pretty high after I bedded the rest of the action. Don't know if it was my fault or not for sure, it's kinda hard to prove it after the face, but I would say make sure to check it. Gave me problems with the safety till I corrected it.

beubanks
01-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Speed was your stock pillar bedded if so the pillars should have been your plane to bed too If i have one that is not pillared i will leave a small peace of wood front and back to give me a reference to bed to so that the action goes back to the same height

teele1
01-24-2013, 07:30 PM
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/756/vlpn.jpg
grind away tape up the tang where it meets the stock and wrap the barrel at the end of the fore end so the barreled action is level in the stock I make sure the loading port is level with the stock cutout then clean up with dremel almost as much fun as shooting