PDA

View Full Version : Sights that are begineer (kid) friendly

missed
01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Well the scope on my 10/22 is broken, and its really hard for my daughter to figure out where she needs to be to see through it. I was thinking a red dot like the bushnell trs-25

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593456/bushnell-trophy-trs-25-red-dot-sight-1x-25mm-3-moa-dot-with-integral-weaver-style-mount-matte

I cant go to steel sights since its a bare barrel. No more than $100

I am wanting to teach her to shoot, but need to find a better route. I am thinking about getting her a rascal also.

poorbuthappy
01-21-2013, 09:11 PM
I don't know how old, but for way less then $100 you could get a BB gun and teach her the fundamentals. Super cheap, shoot almost anywhere, just as much fun for a kid. Once she gets the hang of iron sights, mount a $20 Wally World scope on it. Then progress to a rifle.... It's how I learned

chj3
01-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Had a red dot on a rifle when my kids were young -- and highly recommend one for people not used to shooting. Haven't used the Bushnell you referenced.

My second choice would be an old Weaver K2.5 or a low-powered variable. The old Weavers were relatively insensitive to eye position.

rgburrill
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Have you thought about the open style red dots? One thing is they easily allow using both eyes to look at a scene. The red dot draws your barrell tot he target.

missed
02-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Have you thought about the open style red dots? One thing is they easily allow using both eyes to look at a scene. The red dot draws your barrell tot he target.

That's what I ended up getting. I got one of the truglo open ones with the selectable reticle.