PDA

View Full Version : Changing Barrells on a 111

scotsstalker
01-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Im playing with an idea at present. I own a 25-06 111G, now I may be looking at perhaps another rifle in the future and quite like the idea of a 30-06, my thinking is itll give me a 2 rifle combo like a 243 and 308.... Now Ive noticed that barrell kits can be bought and this got me thinking..... why buy another rifle when Ive 1 that I like I could buy a 30-06 barrell kit and change the barrells when I needed to..

what do you lads think?? is it feesable or will it lead to some all mighty head aches?

cheers
SS

BillPa
01-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Im playing with an idea at present. I own a 25-06 111G, now I may be looking at perhaps another rifle in the future and quite like the idea of a 30-06, my thinking is itll give me a 2 rifle combo like a 243 and 308.... Now Ive noticed that barrell kits can be bought and this got me thinking..... why buy another rifle when Ive 1 that I like I could buy a 30-06 barrell kit and change the barrells when I needed to..

what do you lads think?? is it feesable or will it lead to some all mighty head aches?

cheers
SS

I do it all the time. In fact just to prove a point I've shot as many as four barrels(calibers) during one range session swapping them on the shooting bench.

You bring up good point. You don't need a second platform(stock, scope, etc) to shoot something else. The other year my son and I both wanted to use 25-06s for deer season, but I only had one rifle with a 25 barrel. No problem. Ten minutes later there were two 25-06s in the room.

On the flip side I make it sound easy to swap barrels. It is, but there are some precautions and a leaning curve involved. I held a mini course for six guys at our club one day. After a few hours after detailing and demonstrating the process they were removing-installing barrels themselves.

Hang around and above all else ask questions. The guys around here are great and will help all they can.

Bill

stangfish
01-21-2013, 12:40 PM
I do it all the time. In fact just to prove a point I've shot as many as four barrels(calibers) during one range session swapping them on the shooting bench.

You bring up good point. You don't need a second platform(stock, scope, etc) to shoot something else. The other year my son and I both wanted to use 25-06s for deer season, but I only had one rifle with a 25 barrel. No problem. Ten minutes later there were two 25-06s in the room.

On the flip side I make it sound easy to swap barrels. It is, but there are some precautions and a leaning curve involved. I held a mini course for six guys at our club one day. After a few hours after detailing and demonstrating the process they were removing-installing barrels themselves.

Hang around and above all else ask questions. The guys around here are great and will help all they can.

Bill

Yup

scotsstalker
01-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Excellent. Me and the wife are going to save for an Africa trip and that would save me a fortune in buying another rifle. The 25-06 is my go to rifle but for perhaps 6 weeks during the Red Rut the 30-06 would be a better choice. And obviously Africa.

cheers
SS

teebirdhyzer
01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
everything you need to know can be found on this site! And, if you can't find it, ask. A couple of years ago I bought my first Savage rifle and cringed at the thought of ever being able to swap a barrel out! Now I have 8 Savage rifles with lots of barrels, and can do a barrel change in my shop in just a few minutes. Every single thing was learned on this great website. Lots and lots of good info. Good luck with your rifle and your hunting trips..