PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110C model J ejector question

JohnO
01-21-2013, 04:56 AM
Ok so I have a mid 70s Savage M110 Series J, I know it's nothing special etc... But it was my dads first gun and it has an ejector issue, the ejector slides in and out easily of the track on the bolt making it inoperable. It appears it is missing a ball bearing or something of the sort to hold it in place? The spring is still there, but does not retain the ejector whatsoever.. I guess my question is, will any M110 ejector/retainer fit it? Also anyone tell me what scope mounts will fit this gun? I've tried several that are for a 110 and they don't really work on this one, I'm trying to get this gun in shooting shape for my dad and have ran into these issues, appreciate all the help in advance.

J.Baker
01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
The ejector parts are the same for all the guns (plunger, pin, spring and detent ball) so no worries there. As for scope bases, any two-piece setup for a flat-top (non-AccuTrigger) will work no matter if they're listed as being for a short or long action. As for 1-piece bases, I couldn't tell ya.

ellobo
01-22-2013, 02:14 AM
I have a Weaver one pc. on both my flat back rifles. They make them for the old flat back rifles. Or did.

El Lobo

J.Baker
01-22-2013, 02:21 AM
But are your old flat-back rifles long actions or the goofy J-series (aka Gen 1 short actions)?

JohnO
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
I fixed the ejector, cleaned up the barreled action, polished the bolt and bought a limbsaver for it as it is the worst recoiling rifle ive shot to date and i have a CA 30-378! My next project is the scope mounts/bases... I've heard strange things about this gun as this goes, almost need a longer scope as it sits now, it's like the action is an ultra long action or something. So I'm wanting to go with a one piece 1913 rail or similar, for the ease of adjustment. The scope I bought for it is a Leupold 3x9x44 VX2 and seems to short. I know a pic rail could fix it but I'm not sure if any will fit.

After I get this part hammered out I plan on refinishing the stock, it actually has some fairly nice furniture on it and it fell off a 4wheeler gun rack about 25yrs ago which left a few dings in it that I'd like to remove, so that's next. Does anyone know a place that may have the magazines in stock? I know they're rare as hens teeth but its worth a shot... Lol. Like I said it was my dads first gun and I want to restore it to a clone of when he first got it, he's never been able to hit anything with it due to the scope mount issues which is why it's my largest priority at this point. It kicks so hard that he has never found rings that'll hold a scope... I'll bet the rifle weighs less than 5.5lbs with the scope, and I think the stock design was a bad one for this rifle, hoping the limb saver reduces felt recoil enough to make it manageable at least.

I appreciate the help either way and look forward to actually shooting some groups with it, lol.

ellobo
01-22-2013, 11:48 PM
But are your old flat-back rifles long actions or the goofy J-series (aka Gen 1 short actions)?

One was a long action .30-06 with a birch stock, J series. The other one was a 7MM mag plastic stock. The .30-06 is now a .35 Whelen and the 7MM mag is now a 7x57. Both have the long Weaver rail.

El Lobo

J.Baker
01-23-2013, 02:42 AM
That's what I couldn't remember - if the J-Series used the same base as a long action or if it had it's own unique length. Someone needs to buy all those J-Series abominations and melt them down so they're not out there causing problems anymore. lol

jibben
01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
the gen I short Js are a different length then the long or mag Js. EGW can make you a base if they are out of stock.

CJnWy
01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
If the unit is straight and dosnt need windage help the EGWs work great. Low rings will help keep it close to the gun for a nice cheak weld,you may have to trim the EGW mount to get scope to set down.
You can turn the 2 piece windage units so that they fit the scope better.
Pic shows a few different scopes and mount setups=they are all mid action units.

http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/09outandabout%20222.jpg

Nor Cal Mikie
01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Or, if you want to really get into it, have a couple of one pieces bases cut, fitted and rewelded to fit your action. I wanted a one piece base with rear windage adjustment that "fit" the chamber opening without hanging over at one end or the other and having all the screw holes match.
Didn't think I was asking too much but after looking for a couple of months and not finding what I was after, I had one custom made. Fits like a glove and works like a charm.

And Jim: Someone should buy all those J-Series abominations and melt them down so they're not out there causing problems anymore? Shame on you. At first I thought you were talking about the Axis.
My "J" Series is what got me into the Savage rifle in the first place. Been downhill ever since. And it's been a BUNCH of different calibers since it was new. It's the one rifle that I''ll never part with. And, it's about to get another caliber change.

ellobo
01-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Mr. Furious, I agree with you. those J series has caused a a lot of people missery. I bought one that turned out to be the mid-short action to do the 7X57 build and didn't realize what it was or the difference. I was new to Savages at the time. I ended up making it a .308 and selling it. All that was stamped on it was 110, so I assumed it was a long action. Up until then I was a Winchester and Mauser fan. Still love them both. Especialy my gold and silver inlaid Mauser commercial action (FN).

El Lobo

JohnO
02-27-2013, 09:24 AM
So how exactly am I to decipher which action this is? Getting ready to order an EGW one piece and I'm not sure which one I need. It's a .270 so common sense says it's a long action but.. These Js confuse me. Any idea or pointers?

Netz
02-28-2013, 03:36 AM
Here's my "J" with the EGW one piece base.
You can select the "Medium" base on their site, they will contact you to confirm the size.
I had no problems getting my rifle conversion set up, this was a 110E in .223, I changed it to .243.

On the Home page there is a section called Savage Faq's, there you will find the thread that will explain the action lengths.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

There'seven a blurb about detent balls also.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?140-Extractor-Detent-Ball-Upgrade
Curt
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92/Netz_/100_7889.jpg