PDA

View Full Version : stevens model 200 LA 30-06 stock for hunting and the range??

Stevens M200 30-06
01-21-2013, 01:44 AM
as we all no the stock on the stevens 200 is complet ****. flexes horribly, and the molding sucks.
im looking for a stock for her so i can hiunt and go to the range. i was preset on the choate tac till i found out it weight around 10 pounds for just the stock. thats too heavy to lug around. i was looking for a stock that is stronger and nicer mold but when mounted to my action would weight in at 6-7.5 lbs?

any info would be great. i seen the thump hole ones and i think there ugly. i also seen the b&c duramaxx??? looks like the original stock, but possibly stronger and will provide better accuracy???

tbartley
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm currently doing a Stevens 110E 30-06 build and will keep the orginial wood stock for it. They come up used on this site once in a while and for the money, I think they are great for a hunting rifle. I had a duramaxx once and sold it due to the forearm flexing too much for me when I proned out with a sling. But that's just me. Good luck.

jpdown
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
The older wood stocks for Savage LA blind magazine staggerfeeds have the same hole spacing as the new LA centerfeeds. They are made of birch, maple, or walnut. The forearms are stiff and they don't weigh a lot more than the tupperware stock. They can be refinished or painted. There are usually lots of them available online from Numerich Gun Parts. Boyds is my go to for a laminated stock, or Stockade Gunstocks for composite hunting stock.

Stevens M200 30-06
01-25-2013, 10:45 PM
ya jp im getting a boyds stock. whitch one do you prefer? tactical. wood, or thump hole?

jpdown
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
If it is going to be a hunting rifle with some range shooting, then the Boyd's classic style would be my choice. Note that laminated wood stocks are going to weigh close to 3 lbs. I've tried the Boyd's Savage LA TH and it is closer to 3 lbs than 2.5 lbs and not what I would consider a "featherweight" stock as advertized. The look, fit and feel of a thumbhole stock has never grown on me. And with a thumbhole stock you must remove your thumb from the stock to reach the safety. I see that Boyd's will custom fit a parchmyr recoil pad for $30 and hopefully adjust for your LOP. If you plan to do a lot of range shooting with a 30-06, a better recoil pad will be a welcome addition you might want to consider. You can't add an aftermarket recoil pad ATF for that price.

NotoriousAPP
02-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Anyone know how the action is attached to Boyd's stocks? Aluminum pillar (I doubt it)?

jpdown
02-07-2014, 05:57 PM
The Stocky or Boyds gun stocks do not have metal pillars. I believe Stocky's sells a pillar kit for Savage stocks. There are also Savage pillar kits sold on Ebay. Some just cut pillars to length from lamp rods.