PDA

View Full Version : Double whammy reloading woes

Pages : [1] 2

DanSavage
01-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Anyone else frustrated about the lack of reloading supplies? I live in New York where gun laws are passed in the midnight hour. The thing that frustrates me the most is not being able to order ammo on-line anymore dog gone it! It looks like we'll be able to order reloading supplies on-line but that doesn't seem to be set in stone yet, and most places like Midway will not even ship bullet heads to New York yet until there lawyers are certain of the new laws in place.

Luckily I have enough reloading components for this years match's, but I don't like being threatened with the shortage of supplies for the hobby that I enjoy most in life. When powder and primers become available again I will be sure to HORD as much as possible. I'm thinking 32 pounds of Varget, 10,000 bullets and primers, I know that's a lot of money but tax time is coming and I've got a lot of kids so it's time to splurge!

thermaler
01-21-2013, 05:03 AM
Just as bad here in TN--the patron state of shooting stuff. I'm stuck trying to recycle just a couple hundred cases and limited powder and bullets and even factory stuff is cleaned out. Kinda ironic how this frenzy of weapons buying has driven up the price of everything and resulted in massive shortages--a demand ban!

acemisser
01-21-2013, 08:16 AM
thats what the goverment wanted to do.And now the shop owners are rapeing us as well..I seen a place that had some plastic ammo box's marked to 8.49 dollors when normal is like 3 dollars...And if your gonna get the powder Dan add another 25 lbs for me...I found the best way to get the bullets is go right to the maker..They will sell them to you.My son just got a box of 500 from hornady...
I have primers..And if you have to you can use like large pistol in place of large rifle..At least you can survive if the need arises..

david8989
01-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Hell even down here in Texas we're out of everything. I ordered some "in-stock" powder from brownells about 2 weeks ago and it's still yet to ship because of back logs. So even if you can find the supplies you can't get it to your door! With that being said, I feel for ya Dan. Because New York's gun laws are F'ed up.

Jason8691
01-21-2013, 10:08 AM
I live in Texas too, and have been able to find bullets and reloading supplies-I just had to travel a bit to do it. Bullet prices are a bit higher than usual, but I'd rather pay more now than not be able to get them later. I feel bad for people living in NY though, I'd seriously consider moving if I lived there.

missed
01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm in Texas too and it's been slim for reloading stuff, hopefully soon things will calm down.

pitsnipe
01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Just as bad here in TN--the patron state of shooting stuff. I'm stuck trying to recycle just a couple hundred cases and limited powder and bullets and even factory stuff is cleaned out. Kinda ironic how this frenzy of weapons buying has driven up the price of everything and resulted in massive shortages--a demand ban!

"TN, the patron state of shooting stuff" One of the best lines of that movie.
Same same here in WA. Cant find RL-15 or Varget. And primers and bullets (of ALL shapes and sizes) are goin fast. And here I got hooked on F/TR match's last year. So much for getting ready EARLY for this year.

acemisser
01-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Search results

Buying Ammo Online (http://www.surplusammo.com/buying-ammo-online/)
New York. No Ammunition Sales To: New York City & Surrounding Boroughs- Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island : Washington D.C. No Ammunition Sales .
www.surplusammo.com/buying-ammo-online

I live in New York and get whatever I can..If you were not allowed to buy it,then why can you or I go to Mikes in Horse Heads AND BUY POWDER,BULLETS,PRIMERS.etc? I had a muzzleloader shipped from Cabelas and it said in their book no oders sent to NY..I called and they said no problem shipping at all...Depends where you live..Like in DC-or Philly.PA.....

big honkin jeep
01-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Enjoy your tax refund for this year Dan. Apparently the earned income tax credit wont be around next year. Time for Uncle Sam to pay the bills and tax breaks apparently aren't on the agenda. Of course the invitation from Texas is always there and Florida is another state with no state taxes and low heating bills. Good luck on your component search and I feel for you guys who have to pay for the bad apples that spoiled the bunch.

bower4311
01-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Where in new New York do you live?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bower4311
01-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Never mind I see you're in Dansville. If you ever find yourself in the north country there is a guy that has more components than most and if he can't get something most can't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DanSavage
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
I appreciate that bower please pm me more info I'm willing to travel for components once stores stock up again.

Just thinking, why don't I set up a P.O. box in Florida, have things sent there, have my uncle pick them up and mail them to N.Y!

Midway sent me a e mail stating that they will now ship ammo and reloading components for now until 2 weeks until the ban takes place (about 1 year).

Something fishy is going on in New York, I have noticed that the N.Y. hunting regulation guide states that an air gun IS A FIREARM!! I also believe that pellets are considered ammunition. Lord help me!

Jason8691
01-23-2013, 08:26 PM
If anyone in Texas is close to Killeen, Guns Galore has a pretty good stock of reloading stuff. Plenty of bullets, powder, and brass for most calibers except the usuals (.223, 308). They have a pretty good supply of loaded rounds as well, they cost a bit more-but they have them.

Jason8691
01-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Found a small local gun store today that had a ton of powder, and scored two pounds of IMR 4064. Went to the Bass Pro Shop in Dallas this weekend, they were wiped out of most everything. Did manage to pick up some Nosler 165gr ballistic tips, but that's about all they had aside from the expensive Bergers. So the stuff is out there, ya just have to look at the smaller places.

thermaler
01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
My local GS had my hopes built up all last week --they told me they had a shipment coming in today of reloading supplies. I go there twice today while they say they are busy getting everything checked in. Finally, at 7:00 pm they roll out one lousy shopping cart 1/4 full with mostly odd-ball cartridges and ammunition--which is all they had left on the freakin shelves anyway. But on my way out I spy a 5lb jug of Reloader 15 and grab it--should be able to use it for a reasonable amount of rifle loads and there's no telling if I'll find any of the good stuff anytime soon.

DanSavage
01-28-2013, 10:45 PM
My local GS had my hopes built up all last week --they told me they had a shipment coming in today of reloading supplies. I go there twice today while they say they are busy getting everything checked in. Finally, at 7:00 pm they roll out one lousy shopping cart 1/4 full with mostly odd-ball cartridges and ammunition--which is all they had left on the freakin shelves anyway. But on my way out I spy a 5lb jug of Reloader 15 and grab it--should be able to use it for a reasonable amount of rifle loads and there's no telling if I'll find any of the good stuff anytime soon.

LOL I was lucky enough to get a couple pounds of relaoder 15 from LGS the other day. Now my favorite part LOAD DEVELOPMENT!!!!!

acemisser
01-29-2013, 08:00 AM
I need some Hornady 168 gr match bullets...

Dennis
01-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Anybody in Louisiana or Mississippi has a source for supplies, Varget, bullets, brass, etc.

thermaler
01-29-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm now meeting SHTF types when I'm at the store--these guys are buying out everything they can, and they talk by phone or radio to their buddies who also want them to buy for them. I never hoarded ammo or reloading supplies so I don't have all that much stuff to work with, maybe a couple hundred rounds total for each caliber--pretty soon I'll have to stop shooting altogether if I want to keep anything at all in reserve.

acemisser
01-29-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm now meeting SHTF types when I'm at the store--these guys are buying out everything they can, and they talk by phone or radio to their buddies who also want them to buy for them. I never hoarded ammo or reloading supplies so I don't have all that much stuff to work with, maybe a couple hundred rounds total for each caliber--pretty soon I'll have to stop shooting altogether if I want to keep anything at all in reserve.

Yeah,I hear you..Same here..