PDA

View Full Version : Double whammy reloading woes

Pages : 1 [2]

Jason8691
01-29-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm now meeting SHTF types when I'm at the store--these guys are buying out everything they can, and they talk by phone or radio to their buddies who also want them to buy for them. I never hoarded ammo or reloading supplies so I don't have all that much stuff to work with, maybe a couple hundred rounds total for each caliber--pretty soon I'll have to stop shooting altogether if I want to keep anything at all in reserve.

I never consciously hoarded, Ive always just picked up a box here and there if I find one. I try to keep a few hundred on hand just in case (I watched the first Red Dawn when I was young, it left an impression). Plus with being military, I always think in terms of what I can feasibly carry if I have to. But now with everyone buying everything they see-I keep about 500 in reserve and am picking up reloading supplies when I come across them.

Apache
01-30-2013, 01:07 AM
I AM one of those hoarders.......and I still don't have enough.

I started after the last big scare. :o

I would suggest that after/if all this settles down y'all better do the same. If for no other reason than to have it the NEXT time this happens.........it WILL happen again.

As shooters....unless you're a new one....y'all should have seen this coming. :(

thermaler
01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
I AM one of those hoarders.......and I still don't have enough.

I started after the last big scare. :o

I would suggest that after/if all this settles down y'all better do the same. If for no other reason than to have it the NEXT time this happens.........it WILL happen again.

As shooters....unless you're a new one....y'all should have seen this coming. :(
Do you have a cryogenic freezer to keep your stash in suspended animation?

Jason8691
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Ammo can last for many years if kept inside.

Apache
01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
LOL!!!

It's in my thermo-nuclear proof underground bunker!!! ;)

Re-enforced concrete walls 10 feet thick with a nuclear air/water purificatin filtration system. Has a steel door 3 feet thick that is operated using hydraulics.

Have ten years worth of food stored, 10,000 gal diesel storage tank with a 250K generator.

Fully self contained. :rolleyes:

Actually, I do have about a years worth of food stored for my family and plenty of guns n ammo. I garden and raise various livestock so I'm fairly self sufficient. Live in the country and know all the neighbors...........strangers are watched very closely around here and are not trusted. People are somewhat afraid to screw around in this area after dark because the consequences usually are not good.

I really don't expect to need all of this, but if the time comes, I'll have enough to share with a few others that didn't prepare like they should have.

DanSavage
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
If anyone is desperate for primer's and powder, Third Generation Shooter supply has CCI34 primer's (basically a magnum primer and IMR 4007 ssc. I bought 8 lb. 4007, 2000 CCI34's and 500 Z- maxes, at least I'll have something to play with.

DanSavage
02-01-2013, 06:54 PM
The Hodgon load data website has the IMR 4007SSC listed for .308 loads as well as .243. There's also an article on accurate shooter that talks about this powder. There was one 8 pounder left and 16 1 pounder's left when I ordered and a ton of the primer's I mentioned.

acemisser
02-03-2013, 09:59 AM
reloader 15 Varget is about all I use anymore I have others on hand but seldom use them....in case of an attack cast bullets will be the thing cause you will use less powder then..I have Zombie alarms around the property next to the swamp just in case...And keep an old 303 british loaded by the basement window..The alarm went off one night and when I fliped on the flood lights it was 2 deer...

thermaler
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
reloader 15 Varget is about all I use anymore I have others on hand but seldom use them....in case of an attack cast bullets will be the thing cause you will use less powder then..I have Zombie alarms around the property next to the swamp just in case...And keep an old 303 british loaded by the basement window..The alarm went off one night and when I fliped on the flood lights it was 2 deer...Obviously an amateur. If you had your perimeter wired with claymores--the deer would have been blown up and with the right trajectory you could have venison steaks land on your doorstep.

DanSavage
02-03-2013, 10:42 AM
A couple of years ago I was thinking about using lead wheel weights to cast my own bullets. I am a auto mechanic and we always had a big bucket filled with old wheel weights. Now wouldn't you know it NEW YORK is already one step ahead of the game and banned lead wheel weights about a year ago.

thermaler
02-03-2013, 10:51 AM
A couple of years ago I was thinking about using lead wheel weights to cast my own bullets. I am a auto mechanic and we always had a big bucket filled with old wheel weights. Now wouldn't you know it NEW YORK is already one step ahead of the game and banned lead wheel weights about a year ago.Probably an environmental thing, would be my guess. How hard is it to cast copper bullets?

DanSavage
02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Probably an environmental thing, would be my guess. How hard is it to cast copper bullets?

Don't know but I've heard of guys making the jackets out of empty .22 casings. I could use JB weld in place of lead!

Apache
02-03-2013, 01:54 PM
EPA is trying hard to ban lead.......... supposedly because it's bad for you...........I think it's bad for you if it's coming at you around 600FPS or more. :o

Other than that...........well, you get into politics then and that's something we can't do.

Copper bullets are easier to make with a lathe instead of casting. Yep, lot's of folks are now making their own bullets using spent 22LR brass.

n4ue
02-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Hi. the 'hoarding' frenzy appears to be slowing. Although the local Wally World still doesn't have any .22 ammo, they have started to get in .380, 30-06, .44 Mag, etc.
Also, there were several ads I saw today for new .223 brass (LC09) (and others) at very reasonable prices. One LGS has a bunch of powder, bullets and ammo and he NEVER changed the prices. Good guy and he'll always get my business.

ron

Jason8691
02-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Probably an environmental thing, would be my guess. How hard is it to cast copper bullets?

It probably wouldn't be any harder to cast, but melting it would be another story. Lead melts at around 620 deg, copper at 1980 deg. Plus copper isn't cheap to buy, unless you just used old pennies.

acemisser
02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
It probably wouldn't be any harder to cast, but melting it would be another story. Lead melts at around 620 deg, copper at 1980 deg. Plus copper isn't cheap to buy, unless you just used old pennies.

:peace:
:o:boxing:

thermaler
02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Yippie Ki Yae--I just visited the LGS and they are back up to about 50% restocked on powder and bullets after being down to 5 to 10% for the past month. Primers and popular size brass still out--but I'm still happy.