PDA

View Full Version : Walt Berger, REPLY from him on primers

Dennis
01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I sent an email in and recieved the following from Mr. Berger! I find it interesting on his comments concerning ALL primers. He also stated he uses 155gr VLD's, good bullet, but he makes/sells all of them!

He is the man, what is your thoughts?

Hi Dennis,
We have tested all US primers and they are all capable of producing match grade ammo so use the large rifle primer you like. I will provide you with a COAL witch is SAAMI spec but you might want to start with the bullet five to ten thousands off the lands and if accuracy is not to your satisfaction move the bullet out so it JUST touches the lands it does not have to be jammed into the lands. I can not tell you what bullet you like if it were me I would not not shoot any of the ones you list I would shoot the 155 grain VLD bullet. With this said I will furnish you load data for all of the bullets.
AS WITH ALL RELOADING APPROACH THE MAXIMUM LOADS WITH CAUTION AS ALL RIFLES AND RELOADING TECHNIQUES WILL BE DIFFERENT. If YOU CHANGE ANY OF YOUR COMPONENTS; THIS INCLUDES DIFFERENT POWDER LOT NUMBERS; YOU MUST REFIGURE YOUR LOADS BY STARTING WITH THE MINIMUM LOAD.

If we can be of any additional help feel free to contact us.
Thanks for your interest and have a great day.

Walt Berger
Berger Bullets
Technical Adviser

EFBell
01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I agree, Walt wrote me back on a couple occasions promptly after asking for help.

82boy
01-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Walt Berger is a pure legend! Walt is still a very competitive shooter. One of the greatest persons I have ever talked to. Walt knows his stuff, I have found that he has never steered me wrong.

On primers, people get fussy with what they use. Precision shooting (Which Walt use to write for) did an great article on primer comparisons. You can find this article in a book called the "Benchrest Primer."