PDA

View Full Version : Intro and a question...

59Bisquik
01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been a Savage fan for years and built a 110 in 30.06 a few years back. It has every goody SSS had at the time and a custom Richards Microfit stock. I really enjoy the rifle and the upgrades make it a pleasure to shoot.

Anyway, I came here looking for info on the high capacity magazine that SSS has. My rifle doesnt have a metal bottom plate, the magazine is just in the stock. Can I add this by inletting the stock? Is it removable or stationary? Sorry for the new guy question, I didnt see this after searching.

Here is my 110!
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/59bisquik/S5000322.jpg

J.Baker
01-20-2013, 10:07 PM
SSS used to offer their Acme magazine conversion, but it has since been discontinued. Even so, they never offered it for long-action cartridges so it's pretty much a moot point. Your one and only possible option would be the bottom metal/detachable magazine setup from CDI Precision (http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/), and yes your stock would need to be inlet to accept it.

59Bisquik
01-21-2013, 09:37 PM
So the CDI kit uses custom magazines and bottom plate and the SSS is hard to get and doesnt come in long action.

Has anyone had experience with Ratmag? Looks like it uses the stock metal bottom and custom magazines with up to a 15 round capacity.

J.Baker
01-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Someone posted on here last week that Ratman has stopped taking orders or paused/ceased production or something to that effect.

59Bisquik
01-22-2013, 08:26 PM
I spoke with CDI today and they said that their setup for 30-06 utilizes a 5 round 300 Win Mag magazine and that I would be able to hold about 7 rounds. 3 etra doesnt seem like its worth the effort. Secondly, they claimed that using the 10 round magazine would get me closer to 14 rounds but that it was rattly and there were feed issues on the last couple rounds due to spring tension.
I wonder how hard it would be to do the ratmag mod myself? Im gonna have to research what mags to get...

Speedrat1
01-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I just got through inletting my 111 on a Boyds stock for the DBM I'll make the warning at least how it applies to me - if I had had a Bridgeport to use I probably would have been done in an hour or two. By hand I wouldn't be surprised if I spent 20-30 hours carefully as I could taking it down. Didn't turn out all that professional but it's functional.

59Bisquik
01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Speed,
Thanks for the info. If I can find the right setup that is worth cutting into my stock, I will try it with a mill instead of by hand.