PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: New guy with model 64 BTV questions

birdog
01-20-2013, 06:05 PM
I can not find any info on this model. I would like some reviews on the 64 BTV or any 64 reviews for that matter. What kind of off the shelf accuracy can I expect to see from this gun? Also any tips and tricks to improve it. Thank you in advance.

birdog
01-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Anyone?

J.Baker
01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
There's a Model 64F-XP package gun review here on the site, but you have to become a paid member to access it. Regarding you other questions, the truth is that the Model 64 has basically remained unchanged for the last 50-60 years from the days it was originally a Lakefield Arms model (whom Savage bought out). Savage didn't even want to send me one to review because they know it's a very dated gun and not of the best design, but somehow they still manage to sell enough of them each year to warrant keeping it around.

If it were me and I was looking for a semi-auto 22LR I'd go the tried and true route and look no further than the Ruger 10/22. There's a ton more aftermarket support for it (there's none - zero for the Model 64), they're reliable as all get-out, and every one I ever owned shot plenty good for head shots on bushytails.

birdog
01-21-2013, 09:24 PM
There's a Model 64F-XP package gun review here on the site, but you have to become a paid member to access it. Regarding you other questions, the truth is that the Model 64 has basically remained unchanged for the last 50-60 years from the days it was originally a Lakefield Arms model (whom Savage bought out). Savage didn't even want to send me one to review because they know it's a very dated gun and not of the best design, but somehow they still manage to sell enough of them each year to warrant keeping it around.

If it were me and I was looking for a semi-auto 22LR I'd go the tried and true route and look no further than the Ruger 10/22. There's a ton more aftermarket support for it (there's none - zero for the Model 64), they're reliable as all get-out, and every one I ever owned shot plenty good for head shots on bushytails.

Thank you. I am really having a hard time trying to decide. I had my mind made up on a 10/22 for the reasons you mentioned. It sounds like it may take some money to get it shooting good.

J.Baker
01-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Well, another option would be a Remington 597 or a Marlin Model 60. The one I had some 20 years ago was a great shooter as well - easily on par with my old 10/22's and my current bolt-action 22. The trick with any 22 rimfire is finding a type and lot of ammunition it likes and buying as much of it as you possibly can.

RustyW
01-22-2013, 09:34 PM
I purchased a M64 TR last Saturday to show my Gun Appreciation Day appreciation. I haven't had a chance to shoot much but did manage to run about 50-75 rounds of CCI Blazer through it when I got it home. The trigger could be better but not as bad of some .22's I have, the plinkster comes to mind. I like the way the stock fits me, I'm 6' 4" and about 240lbs. I shoot left handed & it spit the empties out w/o a problem. I don't like the magazine hanging down when shooting from the bench, I like the 10/22 flush fit better. The magazine seems to scuff up the lead bullet as they're loaded due to sharp edges on the mag. Maybe I'll get better loading it w/practice but I like the 10/22 mag better. I installed a cheapy red dot on top and proceeded outside, one advantage of living in the country, I can shoot off my back porch. It kept all 10 inside a quarter at a distance of 20-25yds. I'm lazy & it was cold out so it was a quick session. I have a few different .22's to compare to. A 10/22 w/manlicher stock, marlin bolt action tube fed, marlin mod. 60, winchester 190, remington pump not sure of the model, henry leveraction, winchester 67 single shot, mossberg plinkster, savage mkII F, savage m64TR and am going to pickup a MKII TR on Friday, couldn't find one local so I had to order the MKII TR. The 64TR has a threaded muzzle and a short barrel which is why I purchased it, eventually I'm going to get a supressor. This weekend it's supposed to be in the 60's so I'm going to put the 64TR and the MKIITR up against each other and see which one is more accurate. I only have CCI Blazer's and Fed bulk pack 550, around here .22 ammo is non existant so I hope theyre not picky.

sjlarson
02-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Model 64 magazine failure to feed is a rampant problem - I would take a pass on the Model 64

Joosh
12-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Alright, I know this thread is almost a year old but I bought this gun around May and have been enjoying it since then.
First of all, the pros:
1. The gun is very accurate to 100yrds (maybe more, depending on shooter's proficiency)
2. The thumb-hole stock feels very comfortable and ergonomic. I shot with it for hours at a time and felt no hand or wrist fatigue at all.
3. The Model 64 is very easy to modify and customize yourself (some gunsmithing experience might be necessary)

The cons:
1. The trigger is terrible. Out of the box it pulls at something like 9lbs (again, fairly easy to modify).
2. Take-down of this rifle is a little convoluted and requires a multitude of tools (no real biggy)
3. The magazine is the worst thing Savage could include with this gun. It is some sort of cheap steel or aluminum that immediately wears down as soon as you start shooting. The bolt actually slams into the rear cartridge retainers and grinds the material away. I have only shot a few hundred rounds through it and it is still holding the rounds just fine, but I am concerned that it will eventually fail.
4. There are virtually no after-market accessories or replacement parts available for this specific model right now. The model itself is old and I am rather surprised that there aren't more options out on the market for it.

My opinion on the gun is that it is a fine semi-auto that is quite accurate out-of-box (as long as you put thread-locking compound on the scope mount screws). The BTV does not come with any iron sights and you cannot put irons onto it (an experienced gunsmith might be able to do it), so it is strictly a scoped shooter. If you do decide to mess around with the internals, be prepared to run into small problems afterwards that may require more tinkering (such as extraction and ejection issues if you accidentally bend the ejector, like I did). The price-point is nice if you can find one from a dealer (I paid $240CDN). There is a limited number of these out there and secondary market prices may be a little much for some. I wish more owners would actually write their opinions on this firearm as I think it deserves the attention.
Sorry this came a little late, but better late than never.

-JD
Albertan Firearms Enthusiast

fartsinpublic
12-30-2013, 11:55 AM
There is a trigger kit available, the MCARBO. I put it on my wife's TR-SR and the pull improved.

diproducts also makes an extended mag release and extended charging bolt handle for the 64.

RP12
12-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Model 64 magazine failure to feed is a rampant problem - I would take a pass on the Model 64Google the match stick fix for the mag problem.