PDA

View Full Version : Fouled bore from the factory?

drphilwv
01-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Howdy all,
One bit I failed to mention about my sighting in process with the presence of fouling in the bore prior to shooting. My rifle was NIB and still wrapped in the factory plastic. When I cleaned the bore pre-shooting there was absolutely fouling in it, both copper and powder residue. My assumption is that it was test fired and not cleaned. I use Butch's Bore shine and actually never got it 100% clean before shooting it. I never got it 100% clean afterward either, despite 10-15 min of scrubbing. I though it was pretty odd. Now, this is a minute of deer vitals gun and its fine for that but I wondered if anyone else noticed something like this pre-shooting.
Phil

david8989
01-20-2013, 06:11 PM
My savage 12 LRP had some factory gunk in it to protect the bore, but no fouling. I just got this rifle a week ago.

missed
01-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Mine was like that too, I just used some spray bore cleaner and a mop followed up with some jags and I got mine pretty clean. Then shot it some and cleaned the same way with a couple passes down the bore with the bronze brush. I rarely use brushes I think they take away from bore life.

drphilwv
01-20-2013, 06:18 PM
I usualy go down a bore size in brush, cover it with a patch, and use JB's. After 100rds or so bores seem to smooth up and clean better. Some bores though shoot pretty great fouled, so I'm not too anal about all of it.

J.Baker
01-20-2013, 10:20 PM
If your bore isn't dirty on a brand new gun you best send it back to the factory no matter what brand it is. Why? Because every manufacturer I know proof-tests the barrel and function tests every gun they make before it ships from the factory and they never, ever clean the bores (ok, Blazer and Dakota might - maybe that's how they justify their crazy prices).

drphilwv
01-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Of course, but this was pretty darn dirty. I guess that is a good sign? Perhaps it was fired with a good bit of oil in the bore. I dunno - I've owned military mausers that cleaned up more easily. Anyway, time will tell. I'm no great shooter so I'm sure its capable of more accuracy than I am.

mattm0812
01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't think I've ever cleaned my bore thoroughly enough to see that there is nothing on the patch. There's no point when savages like to be shot dirty.

J.Baker
01-21-2013, 09:39 PM
I don't think I've ever cleaned my bore thoroughly enough to see that there is nothing on the patch. There's no point when savages like to be shot dirty.

Me either - on any gun...ok, maybe it happened once with a shotgun but that was just a fluke. LOL

mattm0812
01-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Me either - on any gun...ok, maybe it happened once with a shotgun but that was just a fluke. LOL

Haha I guess the only reason I would clean it that thoroughly is if I'm storing the rifle for some time.

s2mikey
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM

Me either - when I first got into the hobby I was like "Whoa, my gun got awfully dirty from just a few rounds of shooting". Guess theyll never be perfectly clean.