PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation, Stevens 200 7-08

awp101
01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I've been rolling the pennies to acquire a long action 200 so I can get barrels in .257 Roberts and 6.5x55. I had my 7-08 out this morning and decided to see, just for giggles, if it would feed the longer rounds.

I have factory 100g and 120g Bob loads and factory 131g, 139g and 140g 6.55x55 loads. Sure enough, there's enough length in the action to feed them all!

At this point, I think I'd be better off using the cash set aside for the new rifle and getting the two barrels since the cost would be close to the cost of a new 200 AND I'd still have to buy the barrels. If I decide I need to go to longer bullets for some reason, I'm not opposed to getting a single shot adapter since 99.9% of my hunting is done on those pesky paper targets and a fast follow up isn't usually required should they charge my shooting position.

Other than passing on a new rifle, are there any (many? ;D) flaws in my logic or testing?

GaCop
01-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Go for it. Using the single shot follower, gives you the option of seating bullets farther out and they allow you to reload pretty fast. A cheap way to acquire another caliber.

dolomite_supafly
01-11-2010, 08:09 AM
I use a single shot follower in my 223. I seat the bullets pretty much out to the lands giving a OAL of 2.43". I don't think it will be a problem with you but I did have to do a little filing on my adapter to get the rounds angled up a little more to clear the chamber mouth.

I take it you can eject those LOADED rounds also. I don't think the problem is with chambering so much as it is a problem with ejecting a loaded round.

On a side note, I found a shop that has a Savage 110 in 6.5x55 locally. I am going to look at it today if I get a chance, if not then this evening I am going to post the adderss for others in case they are interested. It was being sold for $325.

Dolomite

awp101
01-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I take it you can eject those LOADED rounds also. I don't think the problem is with chambering so much as it is a problem with ejecting a loaded round.
Yep! I loaded 4 of each and they loaded rounds ejected just fine. Happy happy joy joy... ;D

davemuzz
01-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Hey.....I built my 6.5 x 55 Swede on a Model 12 single shot (short action). I shoot Berger 140gr. VLD's out of it....and if you reload those...you know they are seated long.

I use this rifle to hunt whitetail deer. Quite frankly, it's so darn accurate I find that I don't need a quick second shot. ;D Yeah....I'm not kiddin you!

Buy your barrels and wrench 'em 'n head space 'em on your action. Then just go shoot 'n smile.

Dave

awp101
01-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I didn't know the M12 was a short action, I gotta get out more... :D

I see Shaw offers 1/8" and 1/9" twist. I know 1/8" is "standard", what purpose would the 1/9" serve? ???

davemuzz
01-12-2010, 07:25 AM
AWP101,

Any model with 2 digits is a short action. Any model with 3 digits is a long action. (ie: Model 110 = Long Action & Model 10 = Short Action).

As far as the barrel twist is concerned, when I ordered my Shilen Swede barrel I specifically ordered a 1 in 9 twist. Now....for the life of me I can't remember why I did that.....but that's what I did.

However, it will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards with Barnes 120gr. bullets, or Berger 140gr. VLD's. Both over RL-22. So, I don't think I made a mistake.

Dave

awp101
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Any model with 2 digits is a short action. Any model with 3 digits is a long action. (ie: Model 110 = Long Action & Model 10 = Short Action).
Yeah, that's one of those things I "knew" but the brain locks up on when I start thinking... :D

Another is twist rate. I always have to stop and visualize that 1/8 would be faster than 1/9 but I never can remember if a faster twist helps light bullets or vice versa. I think I'm going to have it tattooed on my arm one of these days. ;D