PDA

View Full Version : Converting Duramaxx to LH?

Pages : [1] 2

Son of the Gael
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I thought I'd read about it here in the past, did a search and came up with one old post, just gotta ask the question before I spend the money. I'd like to convert a Duramaxx to use with my left hand 110 FP, is it just as simple as cutting a new slot for the bolt handle on the left side, filling in the right side with bondo and painting it? No issues with the action and barrel fitting? This is a pre-accutrigger rifle btw.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Blue Avenger
12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
sound to good to be true. LOL- it is that easy in words. make sure you get a good rough mechanical fit for the bondo to keep it in place.

jlcpls
12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
my left hand 110 FP.....This is a pre-accutrigger rifle btw.

Make sure that your screw spacing is correct for the stock you order!!!!

switch hitting is an easy fix, but if the screws don't fit, you must, uh, quit.

dfrosch
12-09-2008, 10:18 PM
... but if the screws don't fit, you must, uh, quit.

<groan> ::) ::) ::)

geargrinder
12-09-2008, 11:57 PM
What about the slot for the sear/bolt release?

I has to be easier than the HS Precision I just did for my Remington.

jlcpls
12-10-2008, 08:28 AM
... but if the screws don&#39;t fit, you must, uh, quit.

<groan> ::) ::) ::)

sorry :P

Son of the Gael
12-10-2008, 11:34 AM
my left hand 110 FP.....This is a pre-accutrigger rifle btw.

Make sure that your screw spacing is correct for the stock you order!!!!

switch hitting is an easy fix, but if the screws don&#39;t fit, you must, uh, quit.

LOL, I&#39;ll double check the spacing, but mine was made before they started making a true short action. It&#39;s a .308 on long action with a short magazine and (sadly) a short cut out in the bottom of the action.

Thanks all for your help.

J.Baker
12-10-2008, 03:52 PM
What about the slot for the sear/bolt release?

I has to be easier than the HS Precision I just did for my Remington.

It&#39;s a non-issue as left-hand guns still have the sear/bolt release on the right side the same as RH guns.

geargrinder
12-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Duh...don&#39;t know what I was thinking? ???

Son of the Gael
01-06-2009, 02:20 PM
The Duramaxx arrived today, how do you guys recommend cutting the new bolt slot? Can I use a Dremel if I take it slow or should I use a file of some sort?

Also when filling the RH slot should I put a screw or rod in to help hold the bondo?

Thanks again y&#39;all.

jlcpls
01-06-2009, 02:35 PM
The Duramaxx arrived today, how do you guys recommend cutting the new bolt slot? Can I use a Dremel if I take it slow or should I use a file of some sort?

Also when filling the RH slot should I put a screw or rod in to help hold the bondo?

Thanks again y&#39;all.

You can use a dremel, but if it gets away from you, you will be overcome with a body wide numb feeling, followed by cursing and extreme warmth to your face and hands. A few seconds later, your hands will get clammy, and your fingers will start to chill. You will curse again.

You will start to evaluate how bad the damage is, and if it can be repaired. Bits and flashes of your life will intermingle with the vision of the damaged stock. You will begin to question all things, and the internal confusion will force you to put down all the tools, and retire to the La-Z-Boy and watch re-runs of M*A*S*H until your totally drained.

Use the file.

Small screw or rod won&#39;t hurt the bondo/epoxy process. Any framework that will give bondable surface would work. Just make sure its going to be entirely covered.

Blue Avenger
01-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow... spoken like a dremel junkie King! LOL

jlcpls
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow... spoken like a dremel junkie King! LOL

If you only knew.

The rule of thumb (not the thumb I chewed up with the router bit, but the other thumb) is that if anyone has to ask "Should I use the dremel", than just get out the file.

The Dremel smells fear.

vermonter
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
;D ;D ;D

Blue Avenger
01-06-2009, 03:52 PM
You are the KING! LOL

minigun
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I&#39;m all set to do a left hand conversion on my B&C Medalist right after work today.....dremel then file.

johnds
01-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I&#39;m all set to do a left hand conversion on my B&C Medalist right after work today.....dremel then file.

Let us know how it turns out. I just bought a second savage model 12vlp that is the center feed model. I have a choate varmint stock for my older model 12 that is a staggered feed model that is left handed. Of course that stock will not fit on my new savage center feed. The good news is that choate makes a varmint stock for the new center feed action, the bad news is that they don&#39;t make a left handed model for that action. My two choices are cut and hack on the new stock to convert it to left hand or to call choate and beg and plead for them to convert a new style varmint stock to ambidextrous by making an extra cut on the left side of a right hand model.

Why am I bothering with a plastic stock you ask? Because I am very happy with the feel and performance of the one I already have. Its cheap and works great. Doesn&#39;t look so cool but I am way past worrying about that in my life.

Best to all,
Johnds

pa hog
01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
hey jethro! ever play with a Roto-Zip!!!

jlcpls
01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
hey jethro! ever play with a Roto-Zip!!!

The "soft grip body for all day comfort" is only a come-on to grasp this electric piranha.

My Dad, gave me an RZ10 to play with.

<flashback>

Nay, play! Methinks to tame!

Whined like New Orleans harlot, but I could tell it would tear me up, if it detected any doubt in me.

But the new tile wall waited, and my burden was to cut holes.

Summoning all my courage, I plunged the RZ10 into the wall shouting loudly and without fear, "From hell&#39;s heart, I stabbeth thee! For hate&#39;s sake, I spitteth my last breath at thee!"

<deep breath>

Went over pretty well.

I&#39;ve yet to draw blood with it though, but for regular wall work, I always make sure I have some sheetrock scraps, drywall paste, and the dye lot of the paint readily available. You lose track of this one and you&#39;ve got an "S" curve design that would make German highway engineers dehydrate from drooling.

pa hog
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
There was a post on a forum somewhere about a gunsmith or a company that was doing converts to L/H on these stocks but for the life of me I can&#39;t remember it or who!

Jethro, that was some funny s@#$