PDA

View Full Version : Converting Duramaxx to LH?

Pages : 1 [2]

halfmoa
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Jethro,
How are you with your ciphers and them fancy adding machines????

jlcpls
01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q60VS9-YstE&feature=related

HEY, how's the stock conversions going?

Hammer
01-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Not with a Duramax, but with other synthetic stocks...

My gunsmith just uses a CNC five-axis lathe to cut the bolt slots.

Son of the Gael
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the help all.

<begins searching for file>

Gun Geek
07-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I&#39;ve now done a LH conversion on a Duramaxx and a Medalist. No real problem on either one. But I do have a couple of observations:

I used a Dremel and went slow, no problems. I transferred some basic measurements - more like critical points over from the other side.

First, the cuttings from both stock go everywhere, wear eye protection. It as much a comfort issue as a safety issue.

The Duramaxx made a little neater cut. I used the little cylinder with slots/flutes cut in as sharp surfaces. The Duramaxx cleaned up with a sanding disc.

The Medalist has fibers in it (glass, kevlar, whatever) it doesn&#39;t cut so neatly.

I just left the RH side. Heck it is an ugly ole Savage anyway. That way I didn&#39;t have to repaint anything ;)

Rooster 50
07-01-2009, 09:26 PM
I just finished converting a medalist. I cut two slots down each side of the bolt cutout with the round flat cutoff wheels, then made a cut down the center to the same depth. Then I used the smaller( 3/8 th&#39;s) in sanding drum to hog out the notch. it come out great with very clean sides. I did end up cutting it a little deep which was no problem I just used a little bit of the JB weld that I filled the other bolt notch with to bring it back to where I wanted it.

BTW I am still sitting on a converted long action Duramax that I got stuck with. I would make someone here a real good deal on it.

weasle50BMG
07-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I just did my B&C with no problems at all. the best advice i can give is to put the power tools down. use a round wood rasp to make the slot and take your time. when you think you are close reassemble the gun and check to see if the bolt hits. slowly work the opening untill the bolt will close with out hitting then clean the slot up with 120 grit sand paper. If I would have put a memory card in my video recorder i would have had this put on you tube. for filling the slot on the other side remember to sand and make some groves for the bondo to be forced into.

Rooster 50
07-02-2009, 12:32 AM
When filling the original bolt notch, it works very well if you drill some small holes on both sides and the bottom and make a rebar type framework out of heavy paper clips cut into short pieces. that way it can never be knocked loose.

BTW JB weld works extremely well for this on a Medalist since it has almost the same density as the stock material. It sands well and takes a finish just like the rest of the stock. When I did mine I used masking tape to form a dam on the inside and was able to follow the original stock contour perfectly. The part of the plug required almost no sanding at all.

Skateroo56
12-29-2009, 08:03 AM
BTW I am still sitting on a converted long action Duramax that I got stuck with. I would make someone here a real good deal on it.

Rooster - do you still have this stock ?? If so, please hit me at skateroo56@yahoo.com

Jim,