PDA

View Full Version : Rear baffle

alphapygmy
01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Is there an easy way to disassemble the rear baffle without special tools? With the arrangement of the holes, detent balls, and a spring it looks like things may go shooting across the room if I'm not careful. Thanks

BillPa
01-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Is there an easy way to disassemble the rear baffle without special tools? With the arrangement of the holes, detent balls, and a spring it looks like things may go shooting across the room if I'm not careful. Thanks

Its easy, tricky, but easy once you put one or two together.

I used to have a drawing, but its the two balls holding each other in place. The one you see from the inside is keeping the other from coming out while the spring puts tension on and keeps the other on from coming out but allows it to move and ride out of the groove in the bolt body. Whew!

To disassemble them I set the baffle flat down on a rag and use a shortened 7/64" allen wrench to push on the one inside. When it clears the hole the spring will take over and push both balls out. The parts are laying on the rag when I lift the baffle. Nothing goes flying anywhere.

Reinstalling them it a bit tricky. I clamp the baffle upside down in a vise then insert the spring and one ball. The ball will be just low enough to set the second one on top without falling off...usually! Then I use a pin punch to press the second ball down until it reaches the hole and moves into place.

The newer baffles have a hole on the outside, so you may have to use a second punch to push the ball in place from the outside in. Dunno, I haven't had one of those apart yet.

Just in case(:rolleyes:), they're the same .125" balls used for the extractors.

My advise, unless you have a good reason..........

alphapygmy
01-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks! The vise got me over the hump.