PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Reminton mag barrels screaming to be more

rlpointer
01-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I am totally new to the barrel change idea and would like some direction. I have two 7mm Remington mag barrels (small shank savage) that I want to have re-chambered into a 7mm RUM, 7mm-300 Weatherby or???

I hunt the open areas of Eastern Oregon for mule deer that are consistently over 125 dressed wt. Shooting distances are generally 450-650+ yards. I also hunt elk in Eastern Oregon. With that said I thank you all for your expertise in building savage rifles. A special thank you to one of our members Der Verge for a barrel and input.

rlpointer
01-10-2010, 12:23 PM
This will be on a Savage 111 action

HRstretch
01-10-2010, 01:04 PM
How long are your factory barrels? If they are 24" the bigger 7's might not help that much over what you have. They need the longer barrels to burn the extra powder to gain the Higher velocities.

The venerable 7Mag has no problem with your ranges specified. If your going to the other l7 calibers they tend to need longer barrels 26" min by most peoples estimation. I myself have the 7 MM STW and love this caliber. I would not put a new barrel in the big & calibers of less than 28"

rlpointer
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
The barrels I have are both 24 inches long. I will likely go with 7mm RUM again being the one I formerly owned shot 160gr Nosler Accubonds at 3380fps using 88.3gr RL25. Was hoping to try something else for a build. :D

Uncle Jack
01-11-2010, 08:07 PM
As stated above, with a 24" barrel you are not going to gain much advantage by rechambering.

uj

dcloco
01-11-2010, 08:24 PM
My personal opinion, don't do anything, but buy more powder, brass, primers, and bullets.

Get your runout on loaded ammo as near to zero as you can, run an Audette Ladder to find the best bullet/powder/etc combo for your rifles, and start practicing.

I actually BUILT a Savage rifle in 7 Mag for this past season's deer hunt. Practiced to 1200 yards with 162 gr AMax's.

Member here had a factory stainless/fluted/braked varmint weight barrel that I installed on a non accutrigger long action. Added a factory wood stock purchased from another member here and called it a day.

Your current setup will easily make repeated and accurate 1K yard shots on deer/antelope sized game.

Three44s
01-12-2010, 11:16 AM
+1 with the above ..........

For the ranges you are working the current chambering is better due to your shorter barrels.

Instead, I'd invest in a REAL good range finder to go with the above.

If you were to go custom and get a tube worthy of the super mags ..... that range finder would find even more importance ....... a win .... win .....

Three 44s

Blue Avenger
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
buy some extra barrels and make one of each!
The 7STW can use standard 7mm dies when reloading. 300WM cases can be used in place of 8mm mag, short neck but usable.
The RUM has a good wallop. special brass and dies
Whetherby brass is $$ dies not cheap.