PDA

View Full Version : hogue Stock

wal0001
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Need to replace the Tupperware on my 308.. Was thinking about a Hogue but I don’t see a lot of information in the forum on those. I did read they were good, just heavy.. Any thoughts?

Thanks

missed
01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Is yours an accu stock? I would take that over the Houge. I had a Houge on a 700 and it was ok but the front was flimsy enough that it would flex with bipod on it. I don't know if they have gone to an aluminum block all the way up.

acemisser
01-19-2013, 09:59 AM
whats your intended use going to be with it? If hunting then you want a light stock.

If for bench type shooting,I like the Bell an Carlson model...

pdog06
01-19-2013, 10:09 AM
ALmost everyone I have seen(me included) that has ordered one has waited and waited and never gotten them for some reason. I believe you can get the plain black ones, but the camo ones have been impossible to get. I too have heard they are decent stocks, but never got the chance to find out for myself.

Bullhed78
01-23-2013, 01:09 AM
I just ordered one from Midway USA for my 116. They do offer full bed aluminum which I ordered. It is on backordered and expected to ship middle of February.

jibben
01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a feeling hogue advertises something they think may fly and then takes orders to see if they get enough to make a run profitable. They started advertising savage stocks 5 years ago. The black ones just started to show up.

Bigdave1977
01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
I got mine through riflecases.com, free shiping, good customer service. Be forewarned though, when you back order something from them, call them and order it over the phone and they will special order it immediately, otherwise, you may be waiting a while.

Mine has the full bedding chasis, it's pretty solid, no sag at all when on a bipod or bag, the top edges of the forarm move a little because they are rubber for the top 1/4 inch. I also like the feel of the rubber and the over all look of the stock. I did have to wait 2 months to get it. I also have a Howa 1500 short varmint .308 with one on it. It isn't the full bed, but it is still way better than a non accustock, the gun shoots consistant 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" groups at 600 yards with a factory trigger and no glass bedding, so I would say it is more than adequit.

Bullhed78
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
I got mine through riflecases.com, free shiping, good customer service. Be forewarned though, when you back order something from them, call them and order it over the phone and they will special order it immediately, otherwise, you may be waiting a while.

Mine has the full bedding chasis, it's pretty solid, no sag at all when on a bipod or bag, the top edges of the forarm move a little because they are rubber for the top 1/4 inch. I also like the feel of the rubber and the over all look of the stock. I did have to wait 2 months to get it. I also have a Howa 1500 short varmint .308 with one on it. It isn't the full bed, but it is still way better than a non accustock, the gun shoots consistant 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" groups at 600 yards with a factory trigger and no glass bedding, so I would say it is more than adequit.
Is the full bed worth the extra $100? If you had to do it again would you buy the full bed or pillar bed? Is there much weight difference between the two? How practical are they weight wise for a hunting rifle that could be hauled around not so great terrain all day?

Bigdave1977
01-23-2013, 11:09 PM
To me, if I have the $100, I am buying the full bed, it is a little heavier on the forend, but not a deal breaker. If you are using a featherweight barrel, and a scope that is lighter, you should be fine. The plus side of this stock is that it is quiet when you set it down, and it sticks to your hand even when its wet. I would definately think it would have its advantages that would make up for the few ounces you may or maynot give up in weight. You are also talking to someone who packs a 9 pound rifle around, it doesn't bother me any, but some people can't handle it.