PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Instalation

noyb72
01-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Hello all

New here, I've been shooting my grandfathers 110 30-06 for about the last 20 years. It is tired, the "walnut stained stock" is chipped and worn, and the barrel is starting to look worn and loose some accuracy and, worst of all, the cross pin has just broke in two. I am ready to rebuild it. I am thinking a Boyd's JRS stock. I have installed a Nikon Buck Master 4x in Leupold rings on a Leupold 1 piece base and I love it. For the barrel, I'm thinking a A&B 338-06.

I can install the the barrel, but I would rather not invest in chamber guages, barrel nut wrench et all if this is going to be my only install. Can someone point me to someone who can do the install for less than the price of all the equipment?

Thanks
Ron

Uncle Jack
01-10-2010, 02:14 AM
The problem is that you can do it yourself with a $40.00 wrench and a decent bench vise and a sized case. Not many gunsmiths around will do anything for $40.00.

uj

ellobo
01-10-2010, 02:43 AM
I have used the JRS stock and they work just fine. They tend to a little bulkyness but can be thinned out some. Laminates are the best. As for rebarreling its not that tough or expensive to do. Plus it allows you to do different barrels if you want to change in the future. I changed a 30-06 to a .35 Whelen A&B barrel and its a shooter. Add a new recoil lug from Sharpshootersupply (they advertise here) a nice stainless trigger guard and barrel nut from SSS as well and you end up with a real nice looking rifle. Headspace on a sized case or loaded factory cartridge ( be careful with a loaded round). You end up with a custom looking rifle that will be the envy of your buddies. Tighten the nut with a little tap on the wrench and your good to go. Send me an e-mail to elloboluoco1@juno.com and I will send you back a picture of mine and you will be convinced. Be advised that the barrel should be free floated as well as the tang and a good bedding job will increase your accuracy. How to do the bedding can be found in the FAQ's on this site. I would be amazed if it didnt shoot less than an inch groups at 100 yds.

El Lobo

noyb72
01-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was certain I would need a action vice and barrel wrench and headspace gauges. If all I need is the nut then I think I'll give it a try. Is their any advantage to converting to a small firing pin? If their is something to gain then now would be the time to do it because I'm buying the pin anyways.

Thanks again
Ron

dolomite_supafly
01-10-2010, 08:18 AM
As far as having a smith do it, if he has the equipment needed then it might be cheaper than buying all the equipment yourself depending on the shop rate. But if the smith has to buy the equipment he is going to charge you for the equipment then he keeps the tools for himself unless he is able to rent. I know my local smith generally charges $65 an hour, this includes any part of the first hour, sometimes he is cheaper depending on what he is working on and for who.

According to this (http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=26985) interchangability chart you use 30-06 headspace gauges, probably the most popular centerfire caliber other than 223 right now. Finding a used gauge might be an option but new ones are so cheap why take the risk.

These (http://www.4-dproducts.com/) people rent head space gauges. Most places that do rent tools like this require you to pay full price as a deposit. When the tool is returned the refund all but the rental fee. Also, here (http://www.reamerrentals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=30%2D06%2Eg) is the correct headspace gauges for rent for $5, not sure on the deposit fee or shipping.

Here (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27266/Product/CLYMER_HEADSPACE_GAUGES) you can buy the correct gauge for less than $26 and here (http://www.mcreesprecision.net/buy_direct.htm) is where you can get the wrench for $25. Including shipping buying both would be less than the minimum most shops charge.

Personally I would buy the wrench and gauges that way you have them if you ever get another caliber and decide to switch barrels back and forth. Also, buying is going to be cheaper than most smiths will do it for.

Dolomite

noyb72
01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have always heard it was easy, but I didn't realize people went around changing calibers like they change their clothes.

Ron

Smokepole
01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
You might as well go with the newer style smaller firing pin and crosspin. There's a little to be gained there. Better strength of the crosspin, and a little lighter firing pin. I'd swap to different scope bases if it was me. The Leupold ones can booger the scope tube and have more fasteners to come loose.

Three44s
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have always heard it was easy, but I didn't realize people went around changing calibers like they change their clothes.

Ron

Actually ............. :o

I have heard of people changing barrels during a match ..... but not their clothes.

LOL

Three 44s