PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Synthetic stock for Savage 99?

David Sinko
12-05-2008, 09:08 AM
I would like to know if somebody makes a synthetic stock and forend for a Savage 99. Mine is a .300 Savage 99E with pistol grip stock. I am unable to find any information whatsoever no matter where I search, and when I ask this question on other forums the only responses I get are from people who scold me for wanting to put a synthetic stock on a classic rifle. Well, this classic rifle performs flawlessly and is utterly reliable, which is more than I can say for most of what is made today and I intend to get maximum use out of it. The original stock has been refinished twice and the metal has also been refinished, so I have everything to gain by putting a good synthetic stock on this rifle, IF I can find one. Can anybody help?

Dave Sinko

Eric in NC
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Never seen one available.

That being said - some things just aren't done! ;) (half kidding)

David Sinko
12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
OK. Then who can make one, and how much does it cost?

Or how about a laminated stock, or is that still blasphemous?

Dave Sinko

Eric in NC
12-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Boyds might custom do a laminated one, as (maybe) some of the other standard wood stock makers might do (if you provided a laminated blank).

As far as synthetic - that would be a one of a kind custom as far as I know and would cost REAL big $.

My move would be to buy a plain old beater stock and seal it real well (endgrain and all) and just use it during hunting season.

Blue Avenger
12-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Have never seen a synthetic for a 99. some win 94s but no 99s. would be surprised if there were any laminated around but anyone with the pattern for woo could do lam. with all the refinishing that has been done to the rifle there is no great collecter value. enjoy a great rifle!

tktmsa
12-06-2008, 02:16 AM
No brainer, here you go:
http://www.mpistocks.com/99savage.htm

tktmsa
12-06-2008, 02:30 AM
Ohh, and if you want a Laminated one These guys will do it, may need some additional sanding and fitting but last I checked you can get the basic shapes for around $150-200.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Rifle-stocks.htm

Drop them a note about the laminate pricing, may be different than what is shown for walnut.

David Sinko
12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks! MPI is exactly what I was looking for. Very informative website with lots of options available. I will be giving them a call very soon.

Dave Sinko

tktmsa
12-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Pull your wallet out - MPI is a little pricey. If you do it, please report on the service, delivery time and quality. Maybe a pic or two.
tk

.300Savage
09-02-2009, 08:09 PM
David Sinko

did anything ever come of this. i have seen this place come up in every search i have made on the topic

Jaybird73
09-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I would be interested in this also. I have a 99 that works great, but would like to be able to put a nice durable stock on it. The original stock has my Grandpas initials painted on and is very cool and would like to keep it so. Would love my kids to kill their first deer with the gun that my Grandpa killed deer with, my dad killed his first deer with and I killed my first deer with.

David Sinko
11-17-2009, 08:10 PM
I figured I'd bring this back up again. I finally got to calling MPI today. The delay centered around my recently finding a 99F .308, which is what I've been looking for. I really prefer a .308 for a custom project if I'm going to invest a good chunk of change for a synthetic stock and refinish of the metal. For me the .308 is a no-brainer over the .300 because ammo is available everywhere. I've been shooting the .308 to smoke out any demons and fortunately I haven't found any yet. The boss at MPI says that he has made a few synthetics for the 99. Options available range from basic unfinished for $299 up to $700+ if they do all the work. I really don't know the first thing about stocks so I'm going to call a local riflesmith and see if he would be able to finish everything for me. He said he has worked with the 99 before and even knows how to put them back together again. Wait time for just the basic unfinished stock would be about four weeks. I'll have to make a phone call or two and then I'll see how to proceed with this.

Dave Sinko

tktmsa
11-22-2009, 08:32 PM
thanks for the update, keep us posted. I may go the lam route.

David Sinko
11-25-2009, 03:30 PM
I confess that I am starting to have second thoughts, mostly for reasons of cost. Nobody locally is willing to work with fiberglass which means that I'd have to spend at least $700 for MPI to do it properly. I have no reason to doubt the quality of their work, but it's just plain expensive. I am also concerned that any change to the original configuration will cause the rifle to group and behave different.

Who makes laminated stocks for the Model 99? I can't find any sources for these either.

Dave Sinko

Eric in NC
11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/

Here is an example (straight grip).

http://perkedr52ron.startlogic.com/web_pages/OddsnEnds-pictures/savage_model_99-laminate-set.html

These are not "drop in" or 99.9% inlet. You will need to spend 3 or 4 hours of quality time with files, a small chisel and some sandpaper and may need to shorten your stock bolt depending on the vintage of your gun.

rjtfroggy
11-27-2009, 07:24 AM
www.richardsmicrofitstocks. They due both wood or laminate for the Stevens 99 if web site does not come up try sales@rifle-stocks.com or pm me and I will get you phone number.

rjtfroggy
11-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I went back and looked and I just did a search for - target bench style stocks and then looked at richards. If no luck the phone is 818 767-6097 and they are located in California.

David Sinko
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
I have decided to go with the Timber Camo Laminate just like in the attached photo, except that my rifle has a pistol grip stock. I also have a Featherweight barrel contour. I'm not sure if they can cut this contour into the forend or I'll have to do it myself. I'll have to call and find out and give them all the details. Has anybody ever put one of these on a 99?

I confess that if I had the money I'd go with the MPI stock and have them do all the work. But I do like this laminate and fitting and working with it should be much easier.

Dave Sinko

MAGNUS
12-15-2009, 04:21 AM
If i get a 99 i will want a stock i can not worry if it gets digs etc.....

Nice thread!!!

David Sinko
12-15-2009, 01:32 PM
I ordered the stock and Ed said it should be here in 30 days or so. I went with the narrow barrel channel for the Featherweight barrel contour but it will not be inletted for the rear sight boss. Now I just need to decide if I want to do all this work myself or have somebody else do it. The metal will be refinished as well so it will ultimately end up at the gunsmith anyway.

One other issue is the finish and texture of a laminated stock. I do not want to bother with checkering but a friend who works with laminated wood for knife handles suggested a bead blasted finish. Since I plan to have the metal parkerized, a bead blast of the wood is something to consider. Or not? Does anybody bead blast laminated wood for a subdued effect?

Dave Sinko