PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II vs Stevens????

Gregory
01-09-2010, 10:03 PM
So after deciding not to D&T my old Model 4 I'm trying to decide which Savage 22LR to get. I've been looking at the Mark II and the Stevens. The budget guy in me is looking at the Stevens ;D but if there is a big difference in quality I'll get the Mark II.

My plan is to put a scope on it (so maybe one of the package deals) and use it mostly for target practice but might move up to small game hunting with it. Not really looking to do long distance shooting so I'm not looking at the 22WMR or the 17HMR at this time.

So does anyone know quality wise if the Stevens is equal to the Mark II on accuracy?

82boy
01-09-2010, 10:13 PM
The Stevens and the Savage are the same gun, with the same quality, the diference is in the trigger.

McWood
01-12-2010, 01:42 AM
is the stevens trigger upgradeable to an accu-trigger or an after market setup?

shelbyfan
01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
is the stevens trigger upgradeable to an accu-trigger or an after market setup?
Yes. Rifle Basix is easily found at online stores. Sharp Shooters Supply has way better triggers though.
You need to find out exactly what model you have. The new non accutrigger stevens/savage line are the same receiver as the accutrigger. The older savage/stevens non accutrigger were the older pre accutrigger models and those were used quite awhile after the accutrigger line came out. There was an overlapping period. However, I do not think it matters, non accutriggers will take the non AT aftermarket triggers and RB makes one for the accutrigger. I have yet to read any difference. An accutrigger cannot be put onto a non accutrigger receiver.

Someone with better knowledge should come along and clarify.

Maybe I shouldn't post at 5:45 AM after 3 hours of sleep, because I think I just confused myself.

tammons
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Shoot your rifle with some Wolf target 1050 fps ammo.

If it will not group 3/8-1/2" at 50 yards, you might want to try out a
MK II. I am selling mine, due to the fact that its mosly turned into a varmint gun and a 17HMR
works much better for that. I need the flatter trajectory.

82boy
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
There may be a problem with an aftermarket trigger assembly. Sometime last year Savage released the "E" receiver and they moved the trigger assembly and shortened the bracket up. Because of the change I don't know if the aftermarket triggers will work. There is still a mix of receivers coming out of Savage. I don't think they have placed the "E" receiver in the Stevens line yet.

Gregory
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
So basically the Mark II and the Stevens are pretty much the same quality gun minus the accutrigger?