PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Help: Acra Quick for wood stock

SniperGoat
01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Hello all. Here is my situation. I need to repair a friends wooden buttstock on his FOX B side by side. The wood has cracked on each side of the grip, where it meets the receiver. The cracks looked hair line when I cleaned the gun for him but now he says that they gap pretty bad when he opens the barrels. I'm going to do the honorable thing and take responsibilty by fixing it for him. I'm thinking about using the Acra-Quick (not Acra Glass) epoxy in the cracks. Is this a good idea? Obviously I want to keep this a cheap as possible...can I use some store brand epoxy instead?...or am I going about this wrongly altogether?

J.Baker
01-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Any clear drying store bought 2-part epoxy will work.

thomae
01-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Actually, if you use some waterproof carpenter's white glue, such as Titebond, the glue strength will exceed that of the wood. Glue, Clamp, let sit overnight, seal edges so that water does not creep in and swell wood and crack in a slightly different place, and you are good to go.

If at all possible, try to add a dowel or something to reinforce an area like the wrist of the grip. That gives you some grain running in a different direction which helps to reinforce the joint.

Good luck!

SniperGoat
01-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the replys. I'll report back.

BillPa
01-21-2013, 12:26 PM
If at all possible, try to add a dowel or something to reinforce an area like the wrist of the grip. That gives you some grain running in a different direction which helps to reinforce the joint.

Good luck!

I agree. I recently repaired a hairline 3/4" long crack on my 99 stock on the left side of the receiver. I had few 1/2" hickory dowels laying around I bought from Brownels years ago so I turned one down to about an 1/8" dia, drilled the stock length wise across the crack, glued the dowel in with JB then clamped it. The repair is almost invisible, you would have to look real close to see it. I watched my uncle cut a groove on the inside a couple inches long to get into good wood them glue a piece of hickory in.

One problem with old guns, after use the owners generally wiped them down with an oily rag then stood them in a corner. Over time the excess oil would drain and soak the wood, softening it and would crack from recoil. Glue doesn't like to adhere to oil ,why its best to insert a dowel if at all possible. Unfortunately, sometimes a replacement stock is the only solution.

Bill

SniperGoat
01-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Well it turned out that he decided to have his gun repaired at a local gunsmith. Lucky me.