PDA

View Full Version : class bedding

acemisser
01-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Anyone ever use body putty for a bedding job?
Seems to me it would work as long as it has
the fiber class threads in it....Thinking aboout
doing the recoil lug area to see how it works..

thomae
01-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Seems to me it would work as long as it has
the fiber class threads in it....Thinking aboout
doing the recoil lug area to see how it works..
If you are talking about Bondo-type body putty, to the best of my knowledege, it does not have the compressive strength to withstand impact forces. I have never used Bondo, with or without fiberglass threads, for any rifle bedding, so I don't know first hand. I have used it on cars, and as a result, if it were me, I would spend the money for JB Weld or Devcon 10110, both of which have a proven track record as bedding material.

Dennis
01-18-2013, 12:49 AM

I was a body technician all my life. Body Putty (Bondo-now a plastic two part filler) "will not hold" up to any kinda of bedding. It's a soft plastic and is great for the use intended. Reason: It has to deal with vibration and wind turbulance. Panels flex all the time, that's why it has to be a soft material.

Epoxy, Vehicle Body Epoxy's are some of the strongest made, but are very costly. Corvette epoxy is the strongest, FYI

3m makes all the epoxy's and all of them should be suitable for the job.

SMC, which is sheet molded compound is plastic fiberglass. Most vehicles running down the road are made or put together with this. It's some of the strongest epoxy's made. There are about 10 different grades made, just depends on the job your repairing.

I am getting ready to take a stock and fill the inlet with this epoxy and have it re-inletted. I know the epoxy is stronger than the wood. It's also the best material to use if a repair is required on a stock.

acemisser
01-18-2013, 07:21 AM
thanks for the infor. people..I was told the military uses the bondo with fiber glass on some of
there old rifles..but like my grand dad said.The world is full of liars.....

Dennis
01-18-2013, 10:23 AM
It's tough, but not that tough.

Epoxy is the best.

FYI: Industry standard and product recommendation. Body Filler should never exceed 3/16" in thickness. There are fiberglass's with glass fibers, very tough.

I have used all of them.

acemisser
01-18-2013, 11:01 AM
thanks again for the information....Seems like the stuff I used long ago which worked was call Mar Glass?