PDA

View Full Version : First rounds down the tube of my FIRST BUILD!

RyanG
01-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Well as some of you know I started my first build for a buddy, way to learn... on a buddys' gun!, the 6.5-284. We used an older flat back 110 long action. Got a 26" select match Shilen barrel in light varmint contour from Jim at NSS along with new stainless recoil lug, stainless barrel nut, and a Rifle Basix trigger. We also got a Bell and Carlson checkered medalist stock in tan with black web. We topped it all off with a 20moa EGW base, Weaver tactical rings in medium, should have gone low, and a Vortex Viper PST 6.5x24x50 moa. That for the record is one heck of a scope!

I took the old action and stripped all the old finish off it got it almost to bare metal and refinished it with duracoat in flat black. I also replaced all the small parts in the bolt face. The hard part was getting that light varmint to fit in the sporter stock. That took some sanding but it fits and looks great. I had some issues with the trigger hitting the back of the stock and it wouldnt stay cocked.... Had to inlet a bit on that.

So today we got almost above freezing so my sons and I went out to shoot it. After checking that there were no blockages in the barrel at least three times, ya I was a little nervous to pull that trigger the first time!, I shot it and it went BANG! Well then it was time to sight it in. Long story short my son, the shooter in the family, shot a .7 inch 5 round group from outside to outside! My best group was a 3 shot group at .9 outside to outside....

I am pleased to say the least. No load development as of yet just loaded up 142 grain Sierra MatchKings being pushed by 50.0 grains of H1000 and went for it. Not sure if its too much to ask for to improve on that from a bench and real bags. We were shooting off the snow today. All and all it was one heck of a day..... even tho I get out shot by my son! I actually like that he shoots better than me.... but please dont tell him I said that.

Now I have to wait for my stuff for my 264 Win mag to get here. How am I going to make it another 3 1/2 months for the barrel?

Ryan

Purecountry
01-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Pics???

243LPR
01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
I can sympathize,I've been waiting on a barrel since March!

RyanG
01-18-2013, 10:51 AM
243LPR,

March? Like almost a year ago? I dont know how you have done it! I so hope that it doesnt take that long! What did you order?

Ryan