PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Model 40 .250-3000 questions

woodrow1
01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
The wife and I inherited a rough, old Model 40 in .250 Savage. I am going to refinish the stock and have my local smith slick it up a bit. The gun has a lot of sentimental value, for obvious reasons. So far, so good...

The problem is, the magazine is missing. Numrich's has the magazine for 3 or 4 rounds, and the magazine follower, but they are sold out of the magazine follower spring (!).

I have two questions. First, are the 3-round and 4-round box magazines interchangeable for my rifle? Second, any ideas about replacement springs? Anything else compatible out there?

Thanks.

Mad Dog
01-16-2013, 07:44 PM
You could also try Bobs Gun Parts and Dicks Gun Parts, they may have it.

Not sure on the mags, I've never owned one.

J.Baker
01-16-2013, 08:09 PM
If your gunsmith is worth a hill of beans he'll have no problem making up a follower spring from scratch or adapting one from another application.

woodrow1
01-17-2013, 02:55 AM
If your gunsmith is worth a hill of beans he'll have no problem making up a follower spring from scratch or adapting one from another application.

I figured it would be no prolem for him to rig one up, I just figured I would ask around a bit. On Numrich's, the spring is $8.00...pre-fabricated will almost always be cheaper than hand-made. I support local industry, but I also like factory original sometimes.

I will check the other sites that have been suggested. Many thanks.