PDA

View Full Version : Truing and Timing Action

supergolfer18
01-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Rifle is a FTR comp gun with a Shilen Match Barrel and a Bell and Carlson Stock. Upgraded recoil lug and Sightron 8-32x scope. 20 MOA base

What could I expect if I got this done to my Savage 10 action? Or would the $$$ be better spent getting a new trigger to replace the hunting accutrigger?

Thanks

That1guy
01-16-2013, 02:15 AM
How does it shoot now?

supergolfer18
01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
half MOA or better with my handloads

thirty06
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
It probaly won't make it any more accurate. But it will make it easier and smoother to cycle the bolt.

kelbro
01-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Fred's T&T will allow you to lift the bolt with one finger without moving the rifle off target. You are responsible for hitting the target.

That1guy
01-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Id spend the money on a trigger + more ammo, or just ammo if you dont mind the trigger.

supergolfer18
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
good info. I was thinking either this or getting a trigger done to it soon. Am looking at Rifle Basix2 or SSS Comp trigger

Nandy
01-16-2013, 07:42 PM
My sav-2 is set for 8 oz and it feels great and it is safe even when slamming the bolt close. I have no experience with the SSS but I will probably get one for the next rifle. I got the T&T from Fred and it did a great job on making that action smoother. I cant comment on accuracy improvement but it sure did not make it worst.

geargrinder
01-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I have the Sav-2 and SSS. Both are great triggers, but I prefer the feel of the Basix better.

CharlieNC
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Not to diminish the commercial options but there are improvements you can try yourself for minimal effort and cost- replace standard Accutrigger spring with the target model for lower pull weight. Or you can simply cut off a 1/4 coil at the time until you get a good reduction in pull while foremost maintaining safety; the good thing is doing this with the spring loosened to the least pull, it can be subsequently tightened back to a safer adjustment if necessary . Polish the cocking ramp and other key bolt contact points with Dremmel and fine compound like Flitz to smooth the bolt action and cocking effort, plus simply change to a longer bolt handle like the tactical models to reduce lift. You can google all these for more details.

supergolfer18
01-18-2013, 03:20 AM
anyone know what I need off original trigger? I took mine off tonight and trying to break it down and put everything in a ziploc baggie

I went with the RB Sav-2 trigger should be here Tuesday

JeepsAndGuns
01-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Not to diminish the commercial options but there are improvements you can try yourself for minimal effort and cost- replace standard Accutrigger spring with the target model for lower pull weight. Or you can simply cut off a 1/4 coil at the time until you get a good reduction in pull while foremost maintaining safety; the good thing is doing this with the spring loosened to the least pull, it can be subsequently tightened back to a safer adjustment if necessary.

I too have wondered the same. I have heard that the target trigger spring is made of unobtainum and the only way to get it is if you have a target action/rifle with one already in it, it breaks and you have to send it to savage to get it replaced. I also hear they will not sell it seperately. But like I said, this is all hear say, I have no hard facts or can promise its ture.
I suppose if you got lucky and could find someone who has a complete target trigger they removed and installed a aftermarket trigger, they might sell you their old target trigger. I would be very interested in that myself.

CharlieNC
01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Ordered mine from Jim at NSS.

joe0121
01-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I too have wondered the same. I have heard that the target trigger spring is made of unobtainum and the only way to get it is if you have a target action/rifle with one already in it, it breaks and you have to send it to savage to get it replaced. I also hear they will not sell it seperately. But like I said, this is all hear say, I have no hard facts or can promise its ture.
I suppose if you got lucky and could find someone who has a complete target trigger they removed and installed a aftermarket trigger, they might sell you their old target trigger. I would be very interested in that myself.

Or you could put the SN of the action into the savage parts search.