PDA

View Full Version : ruger to savage conversion prefits

buckyne
01-15-2013, 09:13 PM
I have a ruger m77 mkii rifle in .280 that is a 1.5 moa rifle when I do my part. I just got a remington 700 243 converted to 308 via a CBI remage barrel done. I am happy with the results and am wondering if anyone has heard of a similar conversion for a ruger. I like the controlled round feed and have a nice timney trigger on the gun already. Would like to keep the rifle and maybe just upgrade the barrel. Not a lot of gunsmiths work on rugers though. There are also not a lot of options for gunsmiths in or around lincoln nebraska.

Any ideas on options?

J.Baker
01-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Nothing that I've ever heard of or seen. Anything's possible though if you have enough money to spend to get it done.

CJnWy
01-16-2013, 02:18 AM
Like the boss said "anythings posible" This old tang got worked over by a remington smith at one time but is now a 338Edge.
Have you tryed leaveing the center screw just snug on the Ruger yet?
Bedding a Ruger can be challenging.......I wonder???

http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/308baer%20007.jpg

efm77
01-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Another option you might want to think about is re-barreling it the same way with a shouldered barrel. You can find articles that give you step by step instructions on how to do it. It's not that hard. I've got an M77 MKII 338 win mag that I re-barreled myself and it wasn't that bad. All you'll need is a depth micrometer, finishing reamer, and headspace gauges. With paper and pen to write down and keep track of your measurements and taking your time to be careful, it's not that bad.

stomp442
01-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Bedding a Ruger is no different or harder than a Remington. The trick I have found with the rugers though is that they prefer fore end pressure to shoot well. I have a 308 in a mkII that will print 168 bergers into 3/4" groups at 200 yards.