PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Date of Manufacture

Pages : 1 [2] 3

motorcyclerider
01-17-2013, 01:03 AM
After looking at the pics closely I don't believe magnum models came with clips. I think the one pic of the 110-MCL was a misprint. If you look at the 110-MCL it doesn't have a 24" barrel or a recoil pad that all magnum models came with. Also M models hold one less round than a 110-C. From what I see in the pics I don't think a 110-MC or 110-MCL existed. Does anyone on here have a magnum model with a removable clip? I do think I am a very proud owner of a 110-ML. Now the only thing left to figure out is what the H stands for in 110L-H. Why didn't Savage stamp the barrels like the catalog has it?

If anyone can can explain the H in 110L-H I will become a 3 year paid member instead of a one year and pay a one year membership for the person that comes up with the answer.

J.Baker
01-17-2013, 02:43 AM
This isn't that difficult - they were offered both ways (110M = blind mag; 110MC = Detachable mag). Look at the specifications and pictures on the page I scanned and posted. The 110ML clearly has a longer barrel than the pictured 110MCL. The 110ML has features a rubber recoil pad compared to the 110MCL's aluminum butt plate. They're both details visible in the photos, they're both features specified in the specifications - what don't you get?

Now...the reason I questioned whether or not your rifle started life as an MC is because of the photo's of your magazine box. Look at the pictures in the link below, they show what a blind magazine box of that era is supposed to look like (the 110PE's were offered from 1966-1969). Notice the absence of the button release mechanism hardware on the right side. Notice the absence of the release spring on the left side.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325631112

All and all I think it's a 110ML. What the H stands for no one likely knows - maybe the L-H stood for Left-Hand, which is about the only logical explanation. If it were a "Series H" it would look like this:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/hiyabrad/IMG_0339.jpg

Mad Dog
01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
My bad, I always thought on the older 110's that MCL stood for monte carlo lefty.

I didn't think they had removable mags back in 68.

J.Baker
01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
The detachable magazine setup was designed by Bob Greenleaf and was introduced to the 110 line in 1966 - it was his second engineering project after starting at Savage in 1962. His first assignment was to develop the detachable magazine setup for your beloved 99's which was introduced in 1964.

Digging into it a little deeper in my catalogs I see I was wrong in stating that the MC was a detachable magazine model. The typical Savage alphabet soup got me when it comes to their model designations and what letters mean what. Apparently in 1968 for the one model (the 110C) the C stands for detachable magazine, but it stands for who knows what on the MC models. I would assume this is why they dropped the 110M and 110MC models for 1969 and replaced them with the Model 110D which is for all intensive purposes the exact same model, but without the letter designation confusion. Just like they do today, they clearly used to change the letter meanings at will back in the day. I will still hold to and insist that MC never stood for Monte Carlo though - at least not in the 110 series, as even the basic "C" and "E" models featured a Monte Carlo stock.

The 1965 catalog lists the following models:

110 "Premier Grade" (P and PL) - French Walnut Monte Carlo with Rollover stock, standard blind magazine, available in .243, 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag
110 Presentation Grade (PE and PEL) - French Walnut Monte Carlo with Rollover stock, standard blind magazine, nickel plated and engraved, available in .243 Win, .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag
110MC - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard bline magazine, available in .243, .308, .270, and 30-06
110 "Magnum" - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7m Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag
110 "Economy" (E) - Monte Carlo stock with no checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, and .243 Win
110MCL - Left hand, select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in .243, .308, .270 and .30-06
110L Magnum - Left hand, select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7mm Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag

Now look at the 1966 catalog which lists the following models:

110 "Premier Grade" (P and PL) - French Walnut Monte Carlo with Rollover stock, standard blind magazine, available in .243, 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag
110 Presentation Grade (PE and PEL) - French Walnut Monte Carlo with Rollover stock, standard blind magazine, nickel plated and engraved, available in .243 Win, .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag
110MC - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard bline magazine, available in .22-250, .243, .308, .270, and 30-06
110M - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7m Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag
110C - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, detachable box magazine, available in .22-250, .243, .308, .270 and .30-06
110 "Economy" (E) - Monte Carlo stock with no checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, and .243 Win
100CL - Left hand, select walnut with checkering (no reference or photo to know if it was Monte Carlo or not), detachable box magazine, available in .22-250, .243, .308, .270 and .30-06
110MCL - Left hand, select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in .243, .308, .270 and .30-06
110ML - Left hand, select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 7mm Rem Mag, .264 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag

Everything is basically exactly the same for 1967 and 1968 except the 110E now gets basic checkering on the grip and forend.

For 1969 all the pre-existing models remain unchanged except that the 110M/ML and 110MC/MCL models were discontinued and replaced by the following new model. (note that both standard and magnum calibers offered with same designation for first time)

110 Deluxe (D or DL) - Select walnut Monte Carlo stock with checkering, standard blind magazine, available in 22-250, 243, .308, .270, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 264 Win Mag, 300 and 338 Win Mag

thirty06
01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
That's strange the pic in post 6 shows a DBM setup. The action even has the extra slots milled on the outside to accommodate the DBM housing.
Strange.

J.Baker
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0064_zpse4c9e9d0.jpg

This photo of the right side of the magazine box clearly shows the release button hardware for the Detachable Box setup. You can also see that the housing attached to the action and the actual magazine box appear to be two separate pieces. If you push in on that metal band on this side at the bend, does the inner housing fall out like it looks like it would?

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0066_zpsaa50aa88.jpg

This photo of the left side of the magazine box clearly shows the detachable magazine release spring wire in place on the housing attached to the action.

It's almost like someone just cut the solid bottom off a detachable magazine to make it into a blind magazine box rather than just replacing the whole assembly with a standard blind magazine box.

jibben
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
H was for high polish

mag wells were the same for both blind and detachable. Floor plate (bottom metal) was changed and button was added for the detachable mag.

You can also see the D&T plugs for the rear peep sights that were common in that era

motorcyclerider
01-17-2013, 08:14 PM
H was for high polish

mag wells were the same for both blind and detachable. Floor plate (bottom metal) was changed and button was added for the detachable mag.

You can also see the D&T plugs for the rear peep sights that were common in that era

What is high polished on my unit? And is it common?

motorcyclerider
01-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Better Scope installed

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0080_zps04852e12.jpg

motorcyclerider
01-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes it does look at the pics below.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0091_zpsdcc50c50.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0093_zps4644de60.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0089_zps13a4aab3.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0088_zps5fe26699.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0084_zpsa56a1f70.jpg

J.Baker
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM
I can honestly say I've never seen one setup like that before. I've seen numerous guns from the 60's and every single one of them that had a blind magazine had a dedicated blind magazine box like shown in this pic.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/325631000/325631112/pix499563820.jpg

Mad Dog
01-17-2013, 09:16 PM

Yep, a nice Lyman 48 or 57 WJS would be a nice addition to that gun if you weren't into scopes.

motorcyclerider
01-18-2013, 02:13 PM
H was for high polish

Can anyone confirm this? And what is highly polished on it?

J.Baker
01-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Here's an idea since you clearly don't want to believe anything anyone on here has told you: Spend the $25 or $30 or whatever it is these days and just get it lettered by John Calhoun. This will tell you everything there is to know about the gun.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20849-Lettering-a-vintage-Savage-firearm

motorcyclerider
01-19-2013, 10:21 AM
I just want to know what is Highly polished. What's with the attitude dude? And thanks for the info on the letter.

J.Baker
01-19-2013, 12:51 PM
No attitude, just pointing out the obvious. Every time one of us has told you something in this thread you've questioned it like none of us have a clue what we're talking about - you even tried to turn it into a poll at one point. Mad Dog's by far the most knowledgeable person on this site when it comes to old Savage's and he has access to very specific serial number records. He and I both have copies of most every single Savage Arms catalog going clear back to the 40's and 50's, and a limited selection of catalogs earlier than that. We both have copies of the three books that were printed over the years which cover nothing but Savage firearms - two of which are almost impossible to find these days.

Even with all that reference material to draw from it's still difficult to pinpoint many specifics with Savage firearms because of Savage's own practices throughout the years. Things would (and still do) regularly change with no note of when that change was made (i.e. starting serial number). They've been known to (and still are) to piece odd-ball guns together from whatever surplus parts they have laying around the factory just so they don't go to waste. They always have and still do make a large number of "special order" guns for large distributors (Talo, Jerry's) or retailers (Cabela's, Bass Pro) that aren't cataloged and don't come close to matching anything in the catalog. Now factor in the fact that Savage was sold numerous times over the years and each new owner did a horrible job of keeping/saving records, and in many instances it's dang near impossible to get a 100% positive answer as to who/how/when/what on a given Savage firearm. Go over to the Savage collectors board on the 24hourcampfire website and watch all the Model 99 guru's argue back and forth over exactly what specific model a Model 99 is that someone just posted a picture of.

As for the H standing for "high polish", I'm calling B.S. on that. Why? Because everything that was blued back then had a high polish finish. The only dull finish offered was the low gloss black baked on enamel finish used on some of the cast receivers and small parts on low-end utility models (i.e. parts for the Model 219/220, Model 24's, etc.).

As I said above, I've never personally seen one marked "L-H" before but the only logical explanation for the marking is that it refers to being left handed. That's not to say they didn't use that exact stamping for a number of years, I'm just saying I've never seen it before (late 60's/early 70's era left-hand 110's aren't exactly sitting around every corner you know). Savage never used H to designated any specific feature or option - not then, not now - and that's what leads me to that conclusion. It's not refereed to in any catalog, nor has it ever been referred to in any list or chart I've seen on Savage letter designations. And as I showed you the stamping isn't consistent with how Savage normally expressed a "Series" change.

Whether you want to accept what we tell you or not is totally up to you, but don't act all innocent and offended when we take it as a slap in the face when you question it after we've spent OUR time looking through said reference materials FOR YOU.

motorcyclerider
01-19-2013, 05:08 PM
No attitude, just pointing out the obvious. Every time one of us has told you something in this thread you've questioned it like none of us have a clue what we're talking about - you even tried to turn it into a poll at one point. Mad Dog's by far the most knowledgeable person on this site when it comes to old Savage's and he has access to very specific serial number records. He and I both have copies of most every single Savage Arms catalog going clear back to the 40's and 50's, and a limited selection of catalogs earlier than that. We both have copies of the three books that were printed over the years which cover nothing but Savage firearms - two of which are almost impossible to find these days.

Even with all that reference material to draw from it's still difficult to pinpoint many specifics with Savage firearms because of Savage's own practices throughout the years. Things would (and still do) regularly change with no note of when that change was made (i.e. starting serial number). They've been known to (and still are) to piece odd-ball guns together from whatever surplus parts they have laying around the factory just so they don't go to waste. They always have and still do make a large number of "special order" guns for large distributors (Talo, Jerry's) or retailers (Cabela's, Bass Pro) that aren't cataloged and don't come close to matching anything in the catalog. Now factor in the fact that Savage was sold numerous times over the years and each new owner did a horrible job of keeping/saving records, and in many instances it's dang near impossible to get a 100% positive answer as to who/how/when/what on a given Savage firearm. Go over to the Savage collectors board on the 24hourcampfire website and watch all the Model 99 guru's argue back and forth over exactly what specific model a Model 99 is that someone just posted a picture of.

As for the H standing for "high polish", I'm calling B.S. on that. Why? Because everything that was blued back then had a high polish finish. The only dull finish offered was the low gloss black baked on enamel finish used on some of the cast receivers and small parts on low-end utility models (i.e. parts for the Model 219/220, Model 24's, etc.).

As I said above, I've never personally seen one marked "L-H" before but the only logical explanation for the marking is that it refers to being left handed. That's not to say they didn't use that exact stamping for a number of years, I'm just saying I've never seen it before (late 60's/early 70's era left-hand 110's aren't exactly sitting around every corner you know). Savage never used H to designated any specific feature or option - not then, not now - and that's what leads me to that conclusion. It's not refereed to in any catalog, nor has it ever been referred to in any list or chart I've seen on Savage letter designations. And as I showed you the stamping isn't consistent with how Savage normally expressed a "Series" change.

Whether you want to accept what we tell you or not is totally up to you, but don't act all innocent and offended when we take it as a slap in the face when you question it after we've spent OUR time looking through said reference materials FOR YOU.

I am very thankful for everyones help. Thats why I became a paid member. The only reason I kind of questioned answers I got was that everyone had a different one. But I think it's a sure thing a 110ML and the H marking I might one day contact Savage about it and I'll post what they say. Right know I have been shooting it a lot sighting in the new scope and it a sweet shooter :congratulatory:.

Once again thanks guys!

Blue Avenger
01-19-2013, 09:53 PM
My 67 7mm mag left hand was the same way, other then I had the better stock like the Presentation's. I don't think mine was a presentation as it had the H also instead of the P The mag bax was the same as yours, with the blind plate and no button. Many 67s had the bulge in the barrel yet for the rear sight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/sightboss.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/savagebolt002.jpg
Jan 1968 savage price list
$111.40 wholesale
$148.50 retail

deathofamilkjug
08-13-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm a lot late coming into this. I came across this thread trying to date my 110. Mine is 110C (serial # in upper 105XXX block).22-250 but I have the same stock(minus the recoil pad) and magazine set up. The date stamp on the barrel is 6U. Also have the serial number hand etched on the bolt, which according Wayne Zwoll's "Bolt Action Rifles" pg 493 (http://books.google.com/books?id=xm2xIevYNswC&pg=PA488&dq=savage+110&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rvMKUpu0Aa684AODu4E4&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=savage%20110&f=false) was standard practice. This thread was helpful, most significantly the letter from the historian. In closing as Mr.Furious said
Even with all that reference material to draw from it's still difficult to pinpoint many specifics with Savage firearms because of Savage's own practices throughout the years.

iTman
08-25-2013, 12:51 AM
I am very thankful for everyones help. Thats why I became a paid member. The only reason I kind of questioned answers I got was that everyone had a different one. But I think it's a sure thing a 110ML and the H marking I might one day contact Savage about it and I'll post what they say. Right know I have been shooting it a lot sighting in the new scope and it a sweet shooter :congratulatory:.

Once again thanks guys!

I picked up an IDENTICAL Savage in comparison to yours. My serial is 1115xx and also etched on the bolt. On the left hand side of the barrel the oval is stamped "14u" and on the right hand side with the model it's stamped "110L-D" again, as I said, it's IDENTICAL in that it's a staggered feed blind mag with floor plate and detachable box(option?) and it's a lefty ( yes I'm a lefty) you want to know what the H stands for in L-H and I want to know what the D stands for in L-D!! Obviously its not Left Hand. If you guys need pics I'll post them. I really want to know more about her.

Also, it's a .270 WIN