PDA

View Full Version : Savage Swap Triple Play -- Someone check my logic

Palmetto Savage
01-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Okay, so I got into this Savage thing a few years ago, by dumb luck. A gentleman had a rifle he needed to sell and so I bought a 7mm Rem Mag so that I would have a deer rifle. Turned out what I bought was a Model 112 BVSS, stainless action and barrel with a beautiful laminate stock with the large palm swell. The only minor issue is that I'm a left-eye dominate person and thus shoot left-handed, so the bolt is on the inside of my shooting stance instead of the outside. In the course of researching this rifle I found this forum and I was infected with that 'Barrel Nut' disease.

So now here I sit and I've added a couple of rifles with the bolts on the correct side (Left-Handed) a semi-custom Model 16 in .300 WSM and a bone stock Model 11 GL in .308. Unfortunately, I've developed a medical condition that left me looking for lower-recoiling options to enjoy shooting again. This condition, combined with living in South Carolina, has convinced me I really don't need the two rifles in magnum calibers. So I've decided that I want change my caliber selections to .308, .243, & .223. I think this spread will provide a wide range of hunting options and moderate recoil across all three rifles. This should more than adequately cover my hunting options here in the area which span bobcat, coyote, hog and deer.

I've been researching my conversion options and thought I had this all figured out and was ready to trade my 112 BVSS for a .223 since it would be ridiculous to attempt to convert it to a .223. But today the light came on when I ran across a thread that talked about being able to build a .308 on the Savage Long Action. So having said all this, here is what I'm thinking:

Model 16 - .300WSM, Large Shank, CRF - Convert to .308
Install recently acquired .308 Large Shank, heavy sporter barrel
Will need a new bolt face and maybe a new firing pin if I'm reading the research threads properly. Saw where Savage used a smaller diameter firing pin for the magnum calibers.
Will need a new blind magazine and follower
This will be going into a Stockade Hunting Sporter Stock, with Timney trigger

Model 11 GL - .308, Small Shank - Convert to .223
Find and install a heavy barrel .223
Need a new bolt face
Need a new blind magazine and follower
Decide on a new left-hand stock for this build

Model 112 BVSS - 7mm Rem Mag, Small Shank - Convert to .243
Okay, here is where I need a sanity check
Install the Varmint Profile .243 barrel (fluted)
Buy a long action .473 bolt face
New blind magazine and follower for the shorter rounds in the long action

I really like the BVSS so this helps me by converting it to the much softer recoiling .243 which will probably be completely absorbed by that heavy stock.

I am considering ordering the Ground Recoil Lugs to install with the new barrels as well.

I figure I can help pay for this compulsive caliber change by selling the BVSS 7MM Rem Mag barrel and the almost brand new sporter weight .308 barrel from the Model 11 GL. I will hold onto the .300 WSM barrel and bolt head components on the crazy chance that I somehow get to go Elk hunting in the future.

I plan to document this Triple Play to share my experience with others to try to give back to the fount of knowledge that is Savage Shooters.

So am I missing anything here? I'm assuming that since a .308 build will work in a long action, that a .243 should work as well. Did I overlook some logic that someone more experienced with these projects can point out before I get started? Thanks for any and all input.

Palmetto Savage
01-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Are the bolt pieces needed to make these swaps readily available, or am I looking for rare pieces?

I an getting edited by the prospect of having the .243 on my BVSS chassis.

snowgetter1
01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
You could always get a single shot follower for the 112. Then you do not have to mess with the magazine at all. They are $10.00 from Midway USA. Unless you have to have a repeater. Brownels, Midway, and forsales on here will have your bolt parts.

handirifle
01-18-2013, 02:32 AM
Palmetto
Looks like you got your hands full for a while. It sounds like you have the bases covered, but let me add this. I have owned 243's for a lot of years, and as such have tons of loading stuff for them, BUT, if I were just starting out, with your criteria (soft recoiling deer round) I would not want to go much bigger, BUT I would step up to a 25 cal, IF this is to be used for deer. I say this because rounds like the 257 Roberts, loaded to modern levels will pack quite a bit more energy with the heavier bullets in the 115-120gr, and still give way less recoil than a 308.

Your choice, obviously, and having lived in SC for several years (long time ago, Goose Creek, Charleston areas) I know the deer are not usually huge so a BIG gun isn't needed. A lot of deer have died from 243's but the 257 seems like it would be a nice step up. Just something to consider.

RevM
01-18-2013, 07:54 AM
My answer to just about everyone who is talking about low recoil and Hammer of Thor on deer and hog sized animals ... 6.8SPC.

Werewolf
01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
If you are changing barrels go ahead and get aftermarket lugs, they are a nice cheap upgrade. a 1/4" lug will move the nut far enough forward so that you have to inlet just a smidge, but its worth it.

Palmetto Savage
01-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Handirifle, I'm actually in the Goose Cell area as well. You are right, the deer still don't get real large here.

I hadn't thought about a single shot adapter. Prefer to have the repeater option. May rethink that one.

As to other caliber options, I appreciate the ideas. I was trying to stay more mainstream as I'm not reloading yet. Saving lots of brass for when I start.

One thing I didn't mention is I have a Rem 700 in 7mm-08 in case I get the fever for bigger stuff. Plus i will have the .308.

Thanks for all your input. It is appreciated.

Edited to fix typos...silly autocorrect

308law
01-20-2013, 01:44 PM
since its a long action what about a 25-06, its fairly mainstream, low recoil, and a great hunting caliber.

Blitzfike
01-20-2013, 11:06 PM
I did a barrel swap on a 110 270 accutrigger model. I pulled the 270 barrel and installed a 22-250 sporter barrel on it. I was concerned about how well the long action and 270 box would handle the 22-250 round, but so far it has been great. Much better accuracy than I expected from a used barrel from ebay. From a rest I can get 5 shot groups measuring less than 3/8 of an inch if I do my part. My next project is to pull the barrel from my 7mm Rem Mag and install a stainless 300 win mag with a brake. I'm getting old enough that the heavy stuff is starting to get darned uncomfortable. I have a TC Encore with a 375 H&H barrel. It was so brutal with recoil that I shattered the internals on a Pentax Gameseeker scope. I put a brake on it and it is about like shooting a 30-06 now. I don't make it to Alaska as much now, so the smaller calibers are getting the most use. Keep us posted on your project. Blitzfike

Palmetto Savage
01-29-2013, 01:47 PM
The 25-06 is an interesting Upton side that is the only ammo in stock anywhere.

This entire project shifted significantly yesterday. The Armslist fairy came through on my behalf when a gentleman posted a 12 BVSS .223 he wanted to trade for a heavier caliber. So we are going to swap my 7mm Rem Mag for his .223.

Thanks for all your inputs, I will keep you updated.

Edited to correct auto-corrected error.

Anschutz
01-31-2013, 08:51 AM
I really like the looks of the BVSS and wish I had been around for the long action "Sendero" Savages. That should be a nice trade and for these small southern deer a .223 is more than capable.